etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Definitive Ranking of HGTV Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

We’re all familiar with the vicious cycle: you sit down in front of the television and begin scrolling through channel after channel while hoping something catches your eye. For those of you that are tired of cycling through all the channels, I have a solution. Tune into HGTV. There is always something interesting on HGTV, and to help you decide if you want to tune it, I have here a definitive ranking of the channel’s series. 

8. Income Property

In this show, host Scott McGillivray helps homeowners turn parts of their property into rentable apartment units to help offset mortgage costs. By helping them visualize and carry out renovations, Scott allows new homeowners to attain their home-owning goals while stretching their budget. If you’re into renovations, this is awesome show!

7. Flip or Flop

In this show, husband and wife Tarek and Christina El Moussa buy random properties as cheaply as possible on auction and then attempt to flip them – which means they will remodel it and sell it on the market for a lot more than they paid. It’s not always a walk in the park though. If you like to see houses go from terrifying states of disrepair to amazing dream homes, then this is the show for you.

6. House Hunters 

Of the three House Hunters series I’ll mention in this article, this is the original! Purchasing a new home can be a very emotionally difficult process. It means leaving behind memories in an old residence, the frustration of finding the perfect house, and, of course, the stress of moving. House Hunters takes a look at the wish list of the buyers, as well as their budget, and matches them with a selection of houses to choose from. If you like to look at houses you can’t afford but hope to be able to someday, or you like trying to figure out what decision someone will make, this is the show for you.

5. Tiny House Hunters 

In case you aren’t up to date on home and garden trends, tiny houses have become all the rage. These houses are no more than 600 square feet, which basically means that most of the houses on this show are just a little larger than the average two car garage. Similar to the original House Hunters, a real estate agent uses a buyer’s wish list and budget to help them realize their tiny home dreams.

4. Fixer Upper

In this show, yet another husband-wife duo, Chip and Joanna, take on the world of homes that need a little (or a lot of) love before they’re habitable. Chip and Joanna focus on getting the buyer’s ideal location first, and then fix the house to make it a wonderful place to live. Joanna’s keen eye for design and Chip’s renovation know-how make a wonderful show for any kind of viewer. Not to mention, their kids are adorable.

3. Property Brothers

These two gorgeous brothers, Jonathan and Scott, are one of HGTV’s most famous duos. They’ve had several seasons with ranging themes. They help people looking for a home find a fixer upper and then envision how to turn it into their dream home. As if that isn’t enough, Jonathan actually leads the renovation team and turns the dream into a reality. This show is definitely a crowd favorite.

2. Love It or List It

This show is personally one of my absolute favorites, and it has a sequel, Love it or List it, Too, but the original is definitely better. These two hosts, David and Hillary, go head to head in the battle to either find a couple the house of their dreams or to renovate their existing home to be everything they ever wanted. David has insider knowledge of the real estate market and is tasked with finding a perfect home with everything the couple wants in their budget. Hillary works with a budget to give homes a new feel to convince the owners to stay. At the end of the show, there is only one question: Will they love it… or will they list it?

1. House Hunters International

Probably the most intriguing of all the House Hunters series, House Hunters International follows the same pattern, but in other countries. Many love this show because it inspires the feeling of wanderlust. It’s also a really cool way to get to see what houses look like in other countries and see what things matter most to them, culturally and in a home. If you love to travel, or would if you had more money, you have the opportunity to experience beautiful cities all across the globe from the comfort of your living room.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt