This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner, so you know what that means: it’s spooky season! Even though I don’t get too into costumes or parties, there is one part of spooky season that I can absolutely get behind, and that’s the candy selection. From Reese’s pumpkins to Twizzlers, there is no better feeling than walking into the local drug store and seeing the Halloween candy display (as long as you don’t look at the prices!). Whether you’re throwing a small get-together and need to know what to get for your friends or plan on spending the night in with a good slasher film and want some candy for yourself, here is a definitive ranking of Halloween candy to help you make the best decision.  

1. Reese’s Pumpkins 

Honestly, unless you’re allergic to peanuts (and I’m so sorry if you are), how could you not put Reese’s first?! The perfect balance of chocolate and peanut butter, Reese’s pumpkins are a fan favorite, and they’re guaranteed to be the first thing gone out of any bowl of candy put out at a gathering. I swear they’re even better than regularly shaped Reese’s.  

2. Snickers Pumpkins 

Again, sorry for anyone plagued with allergies, but Snickers pumpkins are just too good to pass up. There’s not too much difference between the pumpkin-shaped Snickers and a regular Snickers besides the shape, so if you can’t find the pumpkin ones, no big deal. Snickers are sure to please, and they can put any bad day back on track. After all, “you’re not you when you’re hungry…” 

3. Twizzlers 

Seriously underrated, I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t like Twizzlers. A nice contrast to all the chocolate to which people usually default, Twizzlers are sweet, fruity, and fun to eat. They can give you a certain sex appeal if used correctly, AND you can bite the ends off to make a straw to give your favorite drink a whole new flavor.  

4. Kit Kat 

Let me be clear: There are a lot of candies that put out cute holiday versions that are just as good, if not better, than the original candy. Kit Kat is not one of them. Classic Kit Kats are amazing. They are perfectly crunchy, and you can determine which of your friends are cool based on who breaks them in half first and who just bites the pair. Stay away from the nasty orange Halloween-themed ones though. Original Kit Kats or bust.  

5. Tootsie Pops  

Tootsie Pops are hit or miss, but they are reminiscent of childhood for many of us. If I see one, I will eat it for memory’s sake. For people who don’t want to get their hands sticky, this is a great alternative because you only have to touch the stick. They may not be the most popular candy, but they’ll probably get eaten one way or another.  

So, there you have it. The top five candies to have at your Halloween festivities or to buy yourself for a night in with your favorite thrillers. Any other candies you buy are probably okay because it’s candy and who turns down candy?! No matter what you choose to indulge in this spooky season, have a safe and fun Halloween!  

Photo Credit: 1234567  

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt