This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Alright, I need to talk Pop Queens. I’m not talking about Gaga or Britney. I’m talking Miley.

Miley Cyrus is the buzz across the world. From her controversial VMA performance, to her scantily-clad antics on a wrecking ball, to her latest album dropping- Miley is everywhere. However, Miley and “shocking” seem to go hand-in-hand nowadays. To be honest, I’m baffled as to what is so shocking about her. Miley has not done anything wrong. Her VMA performance is deemed controversial because she wanted it to be controversial. Everyone is talking about her new style because she wants them to. Everyone is doing exactly what she intended.

Miley is very self-aware and very smart. She has been in the entertainment industry for such a long time that she knows every single dirty trick it takes to get her name out and for people to gossip.

Although it may be difficult to remember, Hannah Montana was a big deal. People of all ages knew who Hannah’s true identity- Miley Cyrus, was. Miley may have fell out of the direct limelight for a few years, but that doesn’t mean she lost her star quality. If anything, she gained more; as well as an insight to her career path.

She’s aware of the reaction she will get from the public. She went into the VMAs knowing what she was about to do. She told MTV, “I don’t pay attention to the negative. Because I’ve seen this play out so many times… Madonna’s done it, Britney’s done it… That’s what you’re looking for, you’re wanting to make history.”

She’s not stupid. Her album charted #1 Billboard 200. She had the highest ratings on SNL since Justin Timberlake hosted and performed back in March. Miley Cyrus is the #1 Halloween costume this year. She’s created such a hype and such a buzz by literally existing. The entertainment industry is just that – entertainment! She’s putting on an act to gain attention.

People argue that she’s “slutty” for prancing around in leotards and skin colored two-pieces. First of all, people should stop slut-shaming her. In my opinion, it’s uncool to judge her like that. Second, she is an artist. Gaga wore a thong and a conch shell bra for half of the show and no one batted an eyelash.

Why is it that Miley is being undermined as an artist when she’s doing everything all the other Pop Queens have done in the past (read: Madonna)? Why does she “need help” when she seems to be one of the most successful artists of our generation? Instead of jumping to conclusions and calling her “dumb” and “crazy,” take a step back and consider her techniques. In actuality, she’s very intelligent and incredibly creative for conquering the cut-throat entertainment industry.

Miley warned us for years- she can’t be tamed. Long live Miley.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3

Entertainment Editor, Her Campus Pitt @abbystubenbort i like bands & boybands & burritos & pop culture
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt