In Defense of Kanye West: 8 Reasons We Should All Love Yeezy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Hip-hop mogul Kanye West has an unfortunate reputation as a “Monster.” Despite the artist’s critically acclaimed music, Yeezy’s “walk around always mad reputation” tends to rub people the wrong way. I can understand, as he’s had some unforgettable controversies over the years. Who could forget the time he announced on live television that George Bush doesn’t care about black people? Or, of course, when he interrupted Taylor Swift’s acceptance of Best Female Video during the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards? Although let’s be honest – Taylor vs. Beyoncé? I’m going to have to go with #TeamYeezy on this one.

In my humble opinion, Kanye is absolutely “Amazing.” With so much variety in his music, I can, and have, listened to his songs “All Day” long. I’ve managed to look past these scandals and continue to love Kanye as much as Kanye loves Kanye, even though I may be the “Only One” who feels this way. For those of you who strongly disagree, just hear me out for “FourFiveSeconds,” and you’reBound 2” change your mind. Let’s quit being “Heartless” towards poor Kanye and give the guy some “Mercy.” Hopefully the following eight reasons will have the “Power” to convince you that we should all love Kanye West.

1. He works hard.

Let’s take one look into The Life of Pablo shall we? Kanye began his career as a College Dropout insistent on following his “Dark Fantasy” of becoming a hip-hop artist. Hard work earned him a spot at Roc-A-Fella Records, where he produced albums for – you guessed it – Jay -Z. His true passion was rapping, but several labels denied him in the beginning of his career. After finally getting signed, Kanye dropped his first album, called The College Dropout, which reached triple platinum. That’s right: triple platinum ON HIS FIRST TRY. Flash forward – Kanye recently released his eighth studio album, now designs for a popular shoe and clothing line, and owns his own record label. This guy does not give up.

2. His music is fantastic.

The critics love Kanye. His lyrics are clever and meaningful, he experiments with different sounds, and every album possesses its own individual tone. Each CD, mixtape, or song released seems to make Ye’s career even “Stronger.” Kanye’s latest album does not disappoint; I’ve listened to The Life of Pablo almost every day since its release on February 14, 2016. Every single song and line is so quotable that “there ain’t one gosh darn part you can’t tweet.” Kanye West is not going anywhere any time soon. 

3. He adores his wife.

We can all tell by the way Kanye looks at Kim K that they’ve got their “Love Lock[ed]down.” I was a little skeptical of their marriage at first, I’ll admit. If Kim Kardashian’s last two husbands are any indication, it can’t be too hard to “Make Her Say” I do. However, the pair truly seems perfect for one another. She brags about him in the media, he tweets nude pictures of her every now and then, they nakedly ride into the sunset on a motorcycle in music videos – you know, normal husband/wife behaviors.

4. He’s a loving father.

It’s impossible to listen to “Only One,” Kanye’s song for daughter North West, without getting chills. The lyrics are beautifully written to honor both his daughter and his late mother, and you can hear the affection in his voice. Who knew the man with such a “start a fight club, Brad reputation” had a soft side? He also gives the fam a shout-out on the track “No More Parties in L.A.,” rapping: “I be worried ’bout my daughter, I be worried ’bout Kim, but Saint is baby Ye, I ain’t worried ’bout him.” Maybe Saint really will be the next Kanye and carry on the West legacy “forever ever, forever ever.”

5. He’s confident.

Many complain that Yeezy’s “Ego” is too big. While I can’t deny that Kanye spends a lot of time talking about Kanye, I think he (mostly) deserves to give himself the recognition. As I’ve discussed, his music is critically acclaimed and adored by fans, and he obviously has talent to brag about. Self-confidence is hard to come by today. If more people loved themselves like Yeezus does, society may be happier overall. 

6. He’s self-aware.

Kanye West makes a lot of splashes in the media. However, most people overlook the way he usually owns up to his mistakes. Although quick to pick a fight, he doesn’t pretend to be something he’s not, and backs down when in the wrong. Yeezy apologized to Taylor Swift (on several occasions), Beck, Wiz Khalifa, Amber Rose, and many other victims of his temper in quick and gracious manners. Yes, he often gets out of control, but “name one genius that ain’t crazy.” Kanye’s new album also sheds light on his frequent temper tantrums in “I Love Kanye,” where he raps: “I hate the new Kanye, the bad mood Kanye, the always rude Kanye, spaz in the news Kanye.” Not only does he recognize his wrongdoings here, but Ye also seems remorseful and working towards change. 

7. He speaks his mind.

This one is a given. No one will ever accuse Kanye West of being soft-spoken. When he has opinions that he thinks matter, Yeezy does not hesitate to jump onto a VMA stage, or go “HAM” in a Twitter rant to spread his thoughts. 

8. He respects his peers.

Many fellow artists appear on Kanye’s albums, ranging in music styles from pop to rap to R&B. He treats his collaborators as “Real Friends” by promoting their verses and songs, and giving the artists shout-outs on social media. Kanye recognizes the greatness around him, and uses it to expand his “Clique,” making himself an even better, more marketable artist. Since dropping The Life of Pablo, Chance the Rapper, Drake, Kirk Franklin, and more have received Twitter praise from Kanye for their hard work on his album. He also gave a little shout-out to Justin Bieber for creating his “favorite song of 2015,” the hit single “What Do You Mean?” Who knew Ye was a Belieber?

Photo credit:

1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt