Dave and Andy’s Scoop of Advice: Interracial Dating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Hey Dave and Andy!

It’s pretty cool what you guys are doing. I don’t go to Pitt yet but I will be attending in the fall :)

Anyways, here is my question:

Do guys get intimidated by the idea of dating a girl from another race? Every guy that I’ve dated who is not my race (African-American) has bailed once things started getting serious. I know that every guy is different, but I just want to know y’alls thoughts on the subject. I’ve never had the balls to actually ask any of the guys I’ve dated.

Dear “Future Freshman,”

Unfortunately, interracial dating is still a touchy subject in society and in the grand scheme of things. It is also fairly new. Many societies and individual people alike have yet to speak progressively on this topic, and thus we are faced with many issues such as yours. The fact of the matter is that there are a vast amount of factors that go into dating; from compatibility, to attraction and culture, to ‘love at first sight,’ dating is extremely complex. There are those who date for common interests, physical appearance, cultural norms, unexplained emotions for another person, previously developed relationships, or even out of curiosity, but who is to say who is ‘right’ and who is ‘wrong’ in their dating ideology?

The key thing to any relationship, whether it’s casual or serious, is to have fun with it! Your significant other should be someone who you can be honest with, laugh with, cry with, and share whatever life may bring you. Just keep in mind that you should enjoy your relationship and be comfortable with it rather than stress over it, which brings us to our answer for you.

Despite the fact that unfortunately, there is no rhyme or reason to dating as a whole, we can give you our opinions on the matter. We both agree there is no problem in dating outside of our own race; as long as the connection is there, nothing else would deter us from continuing a relationship. Intimidation is slightly different, but still parallel in essence; society can sometimes scare people away from expressing their emotions and acting with their heart, but we believe it is best to be true to yourself and do what you feel is the best.  Who cares what society may tell you, we would definitely go for making a move on another race, if it’s what our hearts told us. It can definitely be scary and sometimes intimidating, and nobody is perfect, but in theory we would definitely go with sticking it out, no matter what is considered ‘okay’ or ‘right.’ Now, don’t get either of us completely depicted as some sort of fearless flirting expert; I think it is safe to say we have each gotten a little shy in front of a girl one of us thought was very pretty or one that either of us maybe had a crush on. Still, it is important to know that each person is unique and intriguing in their own way, so don’t let these few perplexing instances stop you in your tracks. When you get set back, you gotta get right back at it, or as any of our grandparents might say, “When you get knocked off that horse, you gotta get right back up.” Dating is fun and adventurous, so don’t hold back from asking your significant other what they think about interracial dating (or anything for that matter), because you only live once and you’ll never know what you don’t ask about.

Your hometown minds of reason,

Dave and Andy

“Love comes in every shade”

Inquire to Dave and Andy for advice via email, at askdaveandandy@gmail.com

Photo Credit:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kApt…

The name is Dave and I’m a lean mean advice-giving machine. Seriously though, despite my humorous demeanor, I’m a pretty down-to-earth person and I like to think of myself as being generously insightful. I’m a junior Political Science and Philosophy major at Pitt and would one day love to be a high school teacher. I love to write and I think of myself as somewhat of an intellectual, with some good advice here and there. I also enjoy a nice pair of slacks and like to wear bow ties with sweater vests. I'm a big family person; my parents, brother, and my dog Cliff Lee mean the world to me. I like the beach a lot, except I'm not a big fan of the sand or getting wet or sunburn. My best friend is Andy, he is kinda cool I guess. I write an advice column for Her Campus and possibly a few interest pieces here and there. I am looking forward to getting to hearing from all the readers/inquirers.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt