Dancing Her Way Through Class: JoAnna Dehler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Name: JoAnn Mary Dehler

Hometown: Pittsburgh

Year: 5th Year (Super Senior)

Major(s)/Minor(s): I am a psychology and communications & rhetoric dual degree with minors in dance as well as Africana studies.

Her Campus: What clubs are you involved in?

JoAnn Mary Dehler: I’ve been involved in various clubs on campus during my time here, but now I’m only involved in my favorite one: The Pitt Dance Ensemble. This is my fourth year in PDE, and I cannot say enough about this amazing group of passionate and creative men and women. 

HC: What is something you wish you could tell your freshman self?

JD: I wish I could tell my freshmen self to JOIN PDE! I tried to work twenty-plus-hour weeks on top of continuing to dance and twirl competitively, and I definitely over-worked myself when I could have been having enriched dance experiences from day one. PDE rules, and I’m so glad that I eventually found the dance ensemble. Better late than never!

HC: Wow! That is a ton to take on and manage all at once! What keeps you motivated?

JD: My motivational inspirations change often, but my family has always motivated and inspired me to work hard. I am a first-generation college student, so I really want to make them proud.

HC: What will you miss most about Pitt when you graduate?

JD: Going to Pitt has sort of been a life-long aspiration of mine. My mom started working here when I was ten-years-old, so I was visiting the campus for basketball games, touring the nationality rooms, and attending campus lectures for almost a decade before I applied. I’ve had lifelong memories on this campus, and it has always felt like home to me. Not only have I built an on-campus family composed of my mentors, dance mates, and friends, but I’ve spent so much time on this campus with my real family. Oakland had felt like my home before I even moved in, so I’m going to miss this strong feeling of belonging and familiarity once I leave.

Photo Credit: JoAnna Dehler

I am a junior Mechanical Engineering student at Pitt. Favorite color.. Purple! Favorite animal.... Elephant! Favorite food... Chocolate!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt