Cool and Quirky Cinemas in Pittsburgh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Going to the movies may be the perfect way to spend a chilly fall evening. Most Pitt students’ go-to theater for movie night is either SouthSide Works or AMC Loews Waterfront 22. These theaters are obviously awesome, but if you want a change of pace and scenery, I have some ideas for you! Here are a few cool, quirky cinemas in Pittsburgh that are worth visiting.

Harris Theater

809 Liberty Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15222

412.682.4111

cinema.pfpca.org

If you’re an art lover, you’ll want to check this one out! The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust’s Harris Theater is one of the most active arts facilities in the region, showing art films nearly every day of the year. Fun fact: it is the only theater in downtown Pittsburgh and is programmed by Pittsburgh Filmmakers. This 200-seat theater features contemporary, foreign, and classic films. At Harris Theater, you get the chance to view films that you simply can’t view anywhere else. Plus, admission is just $5.00 for full-time Pitt students!

Regent Square Theater

1035 S. Braddock Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15218

412.682.4111

cinema.pfpca.org

Two words for this one: Hollywood Classics. Perhaps the most unique thing about Regent Square Theater is that it features classic films every Sunday night at 8 p.m. A new theme, organized by era, genre, director, actor, etc., is featured each month. BUT, that’s not all this theater has to offer. Regent Square Theater features newly released films almost every other day of the week. As this theater is also programmed by Pittsburgh Filmmakers, $5.00 admission for full-time Pitt students applies!

Melwood Screening Room

477 Melwood Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15213

412.681.5449 

cinema.pfpca.org

This “theater” may be the hidden gem of North Oakland. Located on the second floor of Pittsburgh Filmmakers’s headquarters on Melwood Ave, Melwood Screening Room is a unique cinema that seats 130. You won’t find the latest blockbuster here, but that’s the point! The Melwood Screening Room hosts The Essential Cinema Series, which introduces audiences to some of the most significant works in the history of film. The Essential Cinema Series films are held on the last Wednesday of every month and tickets only cost $2.00! Another special event the screening room hosts is Film Kitchen. On the second Tuesday of each month, Film Kitchen showcases the work of a local filmmaker. Afterwards, you get the chance to meet the filmmaker for a Q&A! If you’re interested in forgoing stadium seating and Dolby surround sound to watch a thought-provoking film, the Melwood Screening Room is the place for you.

Row House Cinema

4115 Butler Street

Pittsburgh, PA 15201

rowhousecinema.com

The Row House Cinema is a single screen theater in the historic Lawrenceville neighborhood of Pittsburgh. This cozy 83-seat theater features a new movie theme each week. From themes like “Buddy Movies,” featuring the classic Thelma & Louise, to “Back To The Future II Fest,” featuring the Back to The Future trilogy, you’re guaranteed an experience that is far from “ordinary” moviegoing! 

The Manor Theatre

1729 Murray Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15217

412.422.9851

manorpgh.com

Located in the heart of Squirrel Hill, The Manor Theatre is one of the oldest and best-known theaters in Pittsburgh. From comic relief to high-impact drama to classical romance, The Manor has it all. It aims to screen the most imaginative and stimulating independent, documentary, limited-release art, and foreign language films. The variety on this month’s line-up, for example, ranges from The Babadook to Steve Jobs to The Shining! If you’re a horror film lover like me, keep an eye out for the original Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) opening on Halloween! Plus, you’re probably going to want to stop by their concession stand, the “M Bar,” which offers upscale concessions with signature cocktails, wine, and numerous beer options. And yes, you can enjoy all of your food and drinks in the Theatre!

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3 (author’s own picture), 4, 5 

Julia is a Media and Professional Communciations major at the University of Pittsburgh. She loves photography, dogs, scary movies, and singing in the car! She is very excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and to grow as a writer.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt