Coffee Shops in Pittsburgh You Could Write Your Novel In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Do you love the feel of setting up your laptop, putting in headphones and banging out pages of writing plus emails you’ve neglected for weeks, while sipping an amazing medium roast from a local coffee shop and enjoying the ambience provided by funky lamps, local artwork and your fellow hipsters? Well, if you’re in Pittsburgh and are a Starbucks, Dunkin’ or at-home-K-cup regular, you should consider one of these coffee shops for the next time you need an inspiring place to work or just a better-than-average cup of joe.

The following are my favorite places for coffee in Pittsburgh:

Delanie’s coffee

1737 E Carson St.

Delanie’s is a huge space with an upstairs loft overlooking the counter where you can order breakfast and lunch in addition to any caffeinated drink you desire. What’s cool about this place is that the storefront is completely open in good weather, and of course, the coffee is amazing. I like to order a cappuccino or one of the espresso bar specials and settle in here for a solid bloc of study time.

Beehive Coffee

1327 E Carson St.

If you’re looking to overwhelm the senses, come on in. Beehive has super eclectic art and furniture, which makes for a nice shake up to the crisp walls and wooden floors coffee scene. If you’re in during the morning, you can get a good jolt to wake you up, but if you’re in for a little afternoon delight, Beehive also offers boozy milkshakes and coffee cocktails (think Bailey’s and Kahlua – yum!). Extra bonus: if you’re looking to get out your laptop, there are outlets everywhere!

Redhawk

120 Meyran Ave.

For the Pitt student on your way to class or studying in between them, Redhawk is right on your daily commute. The best thing about Redhawk – besides amazing latte art and my favorite, the dirty chai – is that the baristas make an effort to learn students’ names and faces, and they’re super friendly. While the place is small and you might not find a seat, it’s great for a quick pick-me-up, meaning not just coffee, but a warm smile if you’re feeling down.

The Coffee Tree Roasters

5524 Walnut St. (One of six locations)

If you’re in Shadyside looking for coffee to energize a shopping trip or looking to stay and find a place to work, this is my go to. The Coffee Tree Roasters has plenty of seating, a comfortable but productive atmosphere, and a wide selection on the menu.  I recently enjoyed an iced vanilla latte and a chocolate chip scone here with a friend.

Allegheny Coffee & Tea Exchange

2005 Penn Ave.

If you’re in the Strip District after brunch on a Sunday morning, mark this as a must-stop. Not only will you enter into a bookstore-like haven with shelves upon shelves of coffee grounds, but the nitro brewed coffee is delicious, and you can even get a growler of it! (There’s a good tea selection too if that’s more your speed).

Pamela’s

3703 Forbes Ave. (One of six locations)

So, I don’t know if I’m allowed to do this, but I LOVE the coffee at Pamela’s – I don’t know what it is! So while this isn’t the next stop on your homework or novel-writing-coffee-tour-of-Pittsburgh, the next time you’re looking for breakfast or lunch and a little caffeine would do you get, definitely order coffee with your side of hotcakes.

And these coffee shops are ones I admittedly haven’t tried, but that top my list for places to order from before I graduate and leave the ‘burgh (may the caffeine help me hold back the tears):

tazza d’oro

1125 N Highland Ave. (One of two locations)

tazza d’oro or “cup o’ gold” supports sustainable, green farming and gets all of its coffee from Counter Culture Coffee. They have a new, exclusive coffee from single farmer lots each month available for retail or for a single cup. If you’re looking to know exactly where the ingredients of your brew or pastry are coming from – tazza’s transparency and consciousness will wow you.

Ineffable Ca Phe

3920 Penn Ave.

Lawrenceville and all its chic brings you this Vietnamese-American blended café. Not familiar with Vietnamese coffee? Get a ca phe da, a dark roast made with an individual drip filter poured into a glass of ice and sweetened condensed milk.

Artisan Café

5001 Penn Ave.

Starting last year, the tattoo shop, Artisan, opened up their own little café on the first floor. If you’re looking to get inked, accompany or friend, or just be in a coffee shop with a little more swagger, check this place out.  

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8        

Casey Schmauder is a Campus Correspondent and the President of Her Campus at the University of Pittsburgh. She is a senior at Pitt studying English Nonfiction Writing with a concentration in Public and Professional Writing. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt