Climate Change: Showing an Effect Near You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Though reports of extreme weather like hurricanes, blizzards and floods have become recurring headlines in recent years, there is another weather disaster that has been left out: mild weather. Scientists have investigated this phenomenon and because of different conditions from place to place, the changes are different everywhere. One thing stays the same, however; climate change is changing weather patterns.

While the weather in the tropics may become more intense, North America and Northern Europe experience more frequent “mild” days. While the world continues to warm, local weather patterns continue to change. Scientists have reported that tropical areas will have an increasing number of tropic storms and extreme weather, while more northern areas will have an increasing amount of mild weather.

Recent scientific data has stated that on a global scale, mild days will decrease due to warming, which is caused by human-induced ozone depletion. However, the decrease is predicted to be extreme in tropical areas. Due to increasing temperature and humidity in tropical regions tropical regions are expected to have a decrease of 15 to 50 days of mild weather days. These days will be replaced with heatwaves and intense weather.

For others, climate change will limit the amount of weather variation in their region. People that live in the United States, mountainous areas, Canada and other mid-latitude areas will gain milder days. Most of these areas have been estimated to gain around 10 to 15 days of mild weather by the end of the century. Mild weather will decrease during “intense” summers and increase during fall, winter and spring.

The effects of climate change are broad and diverse. Climate change will change the way that locals in any area carry about their daily lives due to the continuing changes in weather and environmental conditions. Climate change will not only change the way that we conduct our daily lives, but also our economy, travel plans, food access and outdoor recreation.

Photo Credit: Cover/1, 2

Sources: 1, 2

Keely is a Psychology Major and pursing a BPHIL in International and Area Studies on a Global Studies track. She loves to visit new places in Pittsburgh and spend time outdoors. Keely hopes to one day work within the field of Global Health.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt