Chronicles of Pitt in London: A Collegiette’s Life Abroad – Part 3 [PICS]

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

So it’s already week three here. While I’m still almost getting run over every time I cross the street and I’m totally cursing the U.S. economy for how little my dollar actually gets me, I have almost conquered the most important thing here: the Tube. Unlike in the states, hardly anyone drives. EVERYONE takes the subway. Technically it’s called the Underground but everyone calls it the Tube. Basically, the Tube map looks like a 1st grader designed it. With over ten lines going in every odd direction, it’s overwhelming to say the least.

As confusing as it is, though, I have to say, it’s surprisingly efficient. Rush hour can be a bit nerve-wracking the first few times and being crammed like a sardine next to somebody you don’t know isn’t ideal (you’d be amazed at how many people can actually fit in one of those cars), but it seems to run fairly smoothly each day. Yes, things go wrong, but for such a massive and complicated process, they run it swiftly. You can go almost anywhere in London by Tube.

This week we opted not to take the Tube and ventured out by river boat to see Greenwich. Last weekend we also visited Stonehenge and Bath. Since I’ve been here, I have taken some gorgeous photos. It doesn’t help that we’ve been extremely lucky and the skies have been beautiful until today. Despite all of the warnings, I would definitely say the weather is way worse in Pittsburgh… at least so far. That’s one thing I really don’t miss. But I do miss my Pittsburgh friends and my family.

Derilyn Devlin graduates from Pitt in April 2012. She is excited to leave the University of Pittburgh Her Campus to Mandy Velez and Claire Peltier as the new campus correspondents.