Chris Heleniak: Winning Charmer and Medical Enthusiast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

This week’s Campus Celeb is the most recent winner of our Charmers for Charity fundraising event! By winning over the audience in body, talent, and pick-up-line competitions, Chris raised money for Phi Delta Epsilon, the pre-medical fraternity.

Name: Chris Heleniak

Year: Sophomore

Major: Emergency Medicine and Neuroscience

HC: As the most recent winner of our Charmers for Charity event, what was your favorite part about participating?

Chris Heleniak: Honestly I had so much fun in the talent portion of the competition. It was really funny seeing what everyone came up with for a talent. Some people clearly did what they’re good at, while others focused on being entertaining. For my talent I did a dramatic reading of Baby Got Back by Sir Mix-a-lot. I changed up some of the words so that it would apply to me as opposed to talking about a girl. For example, I said “Oh my God Becky, look at this butt!” and pointed to myself.

HC: Are you thinking about competing to uphold your title in next year’s competition?

CH: I would love to defend my title for next year! It would be great to come back and compete against hopefully more contestants, too. I’m a competitive person, so more competition is always welcomed. Also, it’s always great to raise money for Phi Delta Epsilon, my pre-medical fraternity. Plus, all of you girls are so much fun.

HC: Aside from winning over ladies in male pageants, what else are you involved in on campus?

CH: I’m in the social fraternity Beta Theta Pi, Secretary of Phi Delta Epsilon the pre-medical fraternity, and I’m on Panther Racing, which is Pitt’s race car building team.

HC: You’re involved in so much! What would you say has been your biggest accomplishment this year?

CH: My biggest accomplishment was definitely being accepted to the Emergency Medicine program. I was looking forward to it for a long time, and I want to be a doctor one day, so getting in really put me on the right track. Training to be a paramedic will teach me a lot, and even though I’ll have to spend more hours in classes and clinicals than usual, I’m up for the challenge!

HC: Do you have any advice for people looking to go into the medical field?

CH: When in doubt, work harder than you think you need to. You’re never going to look back and say you worked too hard, but you can look back and say you didn’t work hard enough.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 20 years?

CH: In 20 years I hope to be a doctor at Penn or possibly UPMC. I’d like to be married with a beautiful wife and kids, and maybe teaching classes too.

HC: Any fun summer plans?

CH: Staying out here in Pittsburgh taking classes, hanging out with all of my friends, and working as an EMT. Aside from that, I’ll be training for next year’s Charmers for Charity event, of course.

Photos supplied by Campus Celeb.

My name is Melodi Reich, and I'm currently a student at the University of Pittsburgh studying Information Science. After graduation, I hope to go into a technology related field. However, writing is one of my hobbies and passions, and being a part of Her Campus has allowed me to express my more creative side through writing articles and other content. Joining Her Campus was one of the best decisions I made in college, and I can't wait to use the skills I've gained through being in this organization in the future.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt