Chelsea Clinton Visits Pitt’s Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Friday, October 14, 2016, Chelsea Clinton visited the O’Hara Student Center to campaign for her mother, Hillary Clinton, for president. Speakers such as Congressman Mike Doyle spoke before Clinton entered the stage at 2 p.m. She wore a T-shirt that said “Make Herstory,” an appropriate theme with her mother being the first female presidential candidate for a major party.

Clinton gave a short speech before allowing audience members to ask questions. In her speech, she discussed how politics have always been important to her, but becoming a mom made her realize how much this election affects her children’s future. She highlighted many issues her mother is campaigning for such as climate change, education reform and gender equality.

When the floor opened up for questions, an audience member asked her to speak about the importance of voting for senators and congressmen along with the presidency. Clinton agreed it’s important, and said it’s also crucial to vote for positions in your local government. She also talked about the necessity of Democrats and Republicans learning to work together, using the environment as an example.

“The environment used to not be a Democrat or Republican issue,” said Clinton. “It used to very much be an American and a non-partisan issue, and I hope we get back to that place.”

With talk of voting, Clinton brought specific attention to millennial voters. She cited data from the beginning of 2016 that showed about 55 percent of 18 to 34-year-olds and 45 percent of 18 to 24-year-olds were registered to vote. This is why the Democratic party has had a major push to get millennials registered to vote, especially here on Pitt’s campus.

Clinton told the crowd they can boost these numbers by “Just encouraging your friends. They can’t rely on someone else to vote for them… You don’t want to wake up on November 9th and have any regrets.”

As the event continued, many audience members complimented her mother’s temperament when debating Donald Trump. Clinton affirmed that her mother won’t stand for personal attacks or stoop to his level.

“I think we can expect the same focus in the third debate because my mother doesn’t get rattled by bullies, and she never forgets what she’s fighting for,” said Clinton.

Clinton said she couldn’t remember a time when her mother wasn’t under attack. She recalled one of her earliest political memories when she was six years old, and her father, Bill Clinton, was running for reelection as governor of Arkansas against Frank White. She remembered White attacking her mother on her ability to be a parent.

“I knew that that was bonkers,” said Clinton. “I got to have the first and last word on my mom as a mom.”

Clinton talked about how her mother ate dinner with her every night and worked to make public education better for her. Also, she emphasized how both her parents taught her the importance of public service from a young age.

After the event, Clinton stuck around to shake hands and take pictures with audience members, many vowing to vote for Hillary Clinton on November 8th.  

Photo Credit: Author’s photo

Kelly is the President/ Campus Correspondent at HC Pitt. She is a senior double majoring in English writing and communication rhetoric while pursuing a certificate in digital media. Writing has always been a passion of hers, and she hopes to work in book publishing and a best-selling author one day. She works as a tutor at Pitt's Writing Center and an intern at Creative Media Agency Inc. In her free time, she works on her novel, reads stacks of books and explores Pittsburgh with her friends.
Casey Schmauder is a Campus Correspondent and the President of Her Campus at the University of Pittsburgh. She is a senior at Pitt studying English Nonfiction Writing with a concentration in Public and Professional Writing.