neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Changing Your Major Is A Good Thing, So Stop Stressing About It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Since starting college, I have changed not only my major, but my entire life plan. As a freshman, I wanted to follow a pre-med track while majoring in Neuroscience. I was extremely interested in becoming a reproductive endocrinologist, or fertility specialist. I was sure that this what I was going to end up doing for the rest of my life. However, soon after starting classes, I found myself feeling lost and unfulfilled. I wasn’t looking forward to my future as much as I was before. My drawing studio professor pulled me aside one day and asked if I was sure that I wanted to pursue science and medicine. She saw a great potential in my work and could see that I wasn’t happy with my other courses, as my unhappiness was reflected in the pieces I was making.

My professor encouraged me to look into more creative majors where I could actually enjoy my classwork. After talking, I decided to look into the architecture program. In high school, I would sit at my desk for hours making Pinterest boards of homes and drawing floor plans. I even would order free samples of fabric and wallpaper from websites to make design boards; you could say I was a bit crazy. But for some reason, I still thought that I wanted to become a doctor. I was completely ignoring the passion I had for design.

I suffered through the rest of the semester, and my grades reflected how uninterested I really was. When choosing my schedule for my second semester, I decided to enroll in an architecture design studio to see if I would like it. It was very intense and overwhelming, but I absolutely loved it and I learned so much. I didn’t mind spending all my free time in studio because I wanted to work and get better. I stopped dreading going to class, and I met people who are now some of my best friends. Now I’m officially and architecture major, among other minors and certificates, and I’m really looking forward to the rest of my college experience.

I realized that I was on the wrong path, so I made a change. It can be very difficult to take a step back and admit that you aren’t happy. If you feel unfulfilled in your current major, please take some time to research the other programs your school offers. Some may surprise you and spark your interest. Program advisors are always willing to sit down with you and talk about the requirements and experience of that major. According to the National Center for Educational Statistics, about 80% of college students change their major at least once. We’re expected to have an idea of what we want to do for the rest of our lives at the age of 17. This expectation puts a lot of pressure on us and can drive you to choose a major because you feel it’s what you should do, or what your family wants you to do. However, your future is yours. Do not let other people and expectations influence you to choose a path that you do not enjoy. Take some time to research other options you have; you might be very surprised.

Photo by Baltimore Design School

I asked the other members of HC Pitt to share some of their experiences in changing their majors. I hope one can inspire you.

“Okay, let me say I’ve changed my major about 5 times now because I am very indecisive and have NO IDEA what major will lead me to my life goals. Since transferring to Pitt, I know I have more opportunities than my old school. I have always been within Dietrich (School of Arts and Sciences) but between politics and global studies. I’ve always been a GSWS major though. I’ve talked so much with my advisor and some connections my dad has to help realize that undergraduate is about finding my passion and learning about it. The job market is constantly changing, but I found what I love which is Political Science and Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies. Just for kicks, I added a certificate because why not but I’m really happy to have finally found a combination of majors and a certificate that works best for me!”

“I’ve been undeclared my entire college career so far, so I don’t have to change majors 5 times. Instead of immediately declaring different majors, I went in undeclared. I’ve been taking intro courses to any major I’m interested in and it’s been a really great strategy. I also get to talk to other students in that specific major and I can hear insights before officially declaring. I think this is an important strategy to recommend because college is about exploring! Don’t be afraid to explore around while undeclared being undeclared isn’t bad it just means you’re seeing all your options before settling.”

“I came into college as a business major. It was something I had wanted to do for my entire life. After my first year of college, my GPA was trash and I wanted to drop out. I switched my major to psychology and my grades greatly improved and so did my outlook on college. Sometimes what you thought you always wanted, turns out to be exactly what you don’t need. Don’t be afraid to change your major. It could change your life for the better!”

Emily is a junior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in Architecture and Studio Arts. She is on HC Pitt's executive board as the social media director.
Erin is the President of HC Pitt. She is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering, currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering. Besides Her Campus, she is also involved in Pitt American Society of Civil Engineers. When Erin isn't studying, you can find her dancing, binging New Girl, jamming out to John Mayer or exploring the Burgh!