The Brave, The Brains, The Bronzed: Book and TV Men That Have Ruined Us For life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Calling all people that have had the biggest crushes/obsessions/fake relationships with the men created in the books and television shows that make up our popular culture: this article is for you! Now that I’ve probably gotten every single person’s attention reading this, how many of the following characters can you say you’ve also envisioned sharing a kiss with? 

Nathan Scott, One Tree Hill

I can’t decide whether it was when Nathan first kissed Haley in the rain, or when he deemed himself “Boy Toy” as depicted above, or any scene where he’s in his infamous “23” jersey. Either way, Nathan Scott was the reason I thought I was going to fall head over heels in high school for a bad boy. In reality, I never fell in love in high school, and I definitely didn’t meet any bad boys. If you weren’t a Nathan Scott fan, odds are you were deeply in love with his intellectual, sweeter brother Lucas. 

Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders 

This was a book I definitely didn’t mind having to read in middle school. Plus, the movie definitely did Ponyboy justice. *swoon*

Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird 

Judge me all you want for this one, but you can’t deny that his wisdom and southern charm portrayed in the still-famous novel isn’t attractive. 

Jess, Gilmore Girls

I currently may or may not be re-watching Gilmore Girls to prepare for the new episodes airing to Netflix any day now and counting down the episodes where Jess comes into the picture. Also, we share a name, and I definitely thought that was the perfect reason as to why we belonged together.  

Seth and Ryan Cohen, The OC

The original dynamic duo of the 2000’s teen shows. Whether you’re Team Seth or Team Ryan (or both, like me) they meet every single quality you could ever want in a set of attractive brothers. 

Jay Gatsby, The Great Gatsby

Whether you’ve read the book or seen the movie, Mr. Gatsby will always have a place in your heart. Leo definitely does an amazing job being dapper and oh-so handsome in the modern movie version of the book. 

Augustus, The Fault in Our Stars

BRB, sobbing. 

The men of Friday Night Lights

The reason why your favorite motto is “Clear eyes, full heart, can’t lose.” Coach Taylor is without a doubt included (no shame). 

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Hi! I'm Jessie and I am currently dual majoring in communication and non-fiction writing at The University of Pittsburgh. I am also the Senior Editor for Pitt's Her Campus! I emulate everything Carrie Bradshaw and can watch Breakfast At Tiffany's everyday for the rest of my life. You can usually find me blasting country music a little too loud while wearing a floppy hat.