Books to Read When You Need an Escape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

As someone who is constantly looking for a way to escape the reality of school, work and the madness that is my life, I often find myself asking friends, co-workers, sorority sisters and family for good book suggestions. Below is my most recent collection of recommendations. Happy reading!

Books that will make you think:

Subliminal: How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior by Leonard Mlodinow

If you are looking for a book to make you question life, this is the one for you. Author Leonard Mlodinow explores the subliminal mind and how its decisions so drastically vary from those of our conscious mind.

Books that will take you to another world:

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

What if the key to earning a fortune could be found in an Easter egg, or secret feature, in a video game? Set in the year 2044, Wade Watts is taken on an adventure while playing and beating various video games. Ready Player One was a New York Times bestseller.

In a mythical land, inspired by Tsarist Russia and based on a magical system, main character Kaz Brekker is tasked to capture a scientist from the Ice Court. In order to complete this mission, he recruits a team. They must work together and place their trust within each other in order to be successful.

Books that will make your heart race:

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins

From the author of The Girl on the Train, Hawkins writes another psychological thriller. When women’s bodies are discovered in the town river, dark secrets surface with them. This atmospheric thriller will keep you turning the pages until the very end.

In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware

This instant New York Times, USA Today and Los Angeles Times bestseller will definitely make you weary of ever entering the woods. A reunion of old friends at a cabin in the woods lasts a mere two days before the main character, Leonora, wakes up in the hospital, injured, knowing that someone is dead, wondering, “What have I done?”

The Secret History – Donna Tartt

Another murder mystery! The murder of Edmund “Bunny” Corcoran occurs within a close group of six at Hampden College in Vermont. The novel examines the impact of Bunny’s death on the elite and exclusive group.

Books that will make your heart swoon:

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han

A book about love letters and young high school romances. Lara Jean Song Covey writes love letters to the five boys she has loved. One day, her secret love letters are mailed to their intended recipients and her love life takes several dramatic twists and turns.

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

This is my favorite book and Adichie is my favorite author so I have to add it to this list. Americanah tells the love story of Ifemelu and Obinze, childhood lovers who are separated on different continents. They are reunited in their homeland of Nigeria and have the opportunity to give their love another chance.

Note to Self by Connor Franta

Told through short essays, letters to his past and future selves, poetry and original photography, Franta shares the struggles he has faced during personal journey from a small-town boy to an Internet sensation.

Books that will make you hungry:

Lunch in Paris A Love Story, with Recipes: A Memoir by Elizabeth Bard

Immerse yourself in a story about the romantic relationships of a young woman with a dreamy French man and delicious French cuisine. Elisabeth Bard went to France, fell in love, and never left. Enjoy her spicy memoir, peppered with decadent recipes.

American Cake by Anne Byrn

A book about cakes—how sweet! Every era and every region has its specialty cake. Take a look at some of these delicious cakes and learn about their history in this very informational cookbook.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt