The Best, the Worst, and the Funniest Dating Advice HC Pitt Members Have Received From Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

If you have ever been to a family gathering or spent more than five minutes with any member of your extended family, there is a good chance that they have given you some type of dating advice. From the typical advice pieces to the out-of-the-box, laugh-out-loud and cringeworthy ones, the members of HC Pitt have heard it all. Check out the best ones below! 

My mom told me I should never have a “friends with benefits” because “you can’t drink the milk without buying the cow.” I don’t even know how this conversation happened, but it was the weirdest thing I swear.

“Don’t.”

My grandma always told me, “It’s as easy to love a rich man as it is a poor one, even easier actually.”

“You’re going to marry someone who loves your small feet.” – my aunt, on multiple occasions and generally out of the blue. (For context, I’m a size 5 and wear children’s shoes most of the time).

This is kind of awful but my cousin told me to date a rich boy, make sure his parents love me, and then throw myself against a door knob so it looks like I got punched by him. His parents would apparently then offer me money to make up for it. I was 12 when I got these words of wisdom.

My dad always said, “Date cute but marry rich so that I can retire.”

“Come out of college with that M.R.S. degree.” -My Aunt

My grandma used to always ask me if I had a boyfriend (probably starting at age 6) and when I would say no every single time she would always say, “Good for you, keep playing the field.”

Every time I see my uncle he asks me if I have a boyfriend and regardless of my answer he always interrupts me and screams, “Stop, boys are bad!”

“Make sure he’s not just dating you because it’s convenient.” – My Dad. I didn’t want to hear it at the time, but he was right.

One time, I wanted to wear spandex under a homecoming dress because it was short and I was afraid of bending over. My mom jokingly told me that I could get a prom date/boyfriend that way.

“It’s more important that you love yourself than that anyone else loves you.” – My Dad

Not quite dating advice, but mom always tells my friends and I, “Just dry hump, it’s cleaner.” She’s half joking, half serious…

“Boys are like buses, another will come along in a minute.” -Grandpa

“Make sure he’s a nice Jewish boy.” -every member of my immediate and extended family.

Mom’s advice before I went to college in Pittsburgh, like her, was “CMU men are the best kissers.” I have not tried this out yet to her disappointment. Someone let me know.

My dad always told me, “Boys are scum.” I also had a neighbor that always used to tell me and his daughter, “Boys are like a puzzle,” and that was it…

Photo Credits: 1

Hi! I'm Jessie and I am currently dual majoring in communication and non-fiction writing at The University of Pittsburgh. I am also the Senior Editor for Pitt's Her Campus! I emulate everything Carrie Bradshaw and can watch Breakfast At Tiffany's everyday for the rest of my life. You can usually find me blasting country music a little too loud while wearing a floppy hat.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt