The Best Ways to Respond to “I Love You”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

If you are a fan of the old classics like me, you’ll remember the timeless love story between Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore in the movie Ghost.  If not, let me tell you that 1) your priorities are not in check, and 2) you need to watch it because Swayze had absolutely the most adorable way of responding to “I love you.”  With a simple, yet filled with romance, “Ditto,” hearts melted across the world.  These suggestions might not be able to top the classic line like our main man Swayze, but here are some alternatives to tell your loved one how you feel:

If you love him back:

• “And I, you”
  • “Not as much as I love you.”
  • “I love you, too.”
  • “I love you.”
  • Respond with an immediate kiss and as you pull away, whisper, “I love you,” in his ear.
  • Wait until another time soon after, and leave him a note saying why you love him. For example: “50 Reasons Why I Love You.”

If you’re just about there… but not quite ready to say it:

• Respond with a kiss.
  • “I can’t wait to get there with you.”
  • “I’m falling in love with you.”
  • Be completely honest and say how you feel.
  • “I know I’m just about there, but I want to know I mean it before I say it.”
  • “I’m almost there, I promise.”
  • Give him a kiss on the cheek and a sweet smile.
  • Put your arms around him and hold him.

Just remember – never say “I love you” back to someone if you don’t really feel it.  It’s an amazing feeling to be able to say it when you truly mean it, so (trust us) it’s worth the wait!

Photo Credit:

http://a.abcnews.com/images/En…

I'm a current sophomore, double majoring in English Writing and Communications, with a Studio Arts Minor at the University of Pittsburgh.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt