A Beginner’s Guide to Bullet Journaling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Maybe you’ve seen it on Tumblr. Maybe you’ve seen it on Instagram. Regardless of venue, the phenomenon known as “bullet journaling” is here to stay. Popular among young people, this new way of life organization has a reputation for being too perfectionist, too intimidating and not in the wheelhouse of any realistic college student. That, however, is far from the truth.

One of my high school friends began doing it for college and sang its praises for keeping her on track, focused and (most unbelievable of all) virtually stress-free. In mid-February, amidst a swirl of personal and school-related stress, I decided to try the method for a week. After two months of testing it out, I can comfortably say it lives up to expectations.

Not life-changing, but it’s far more customizable than any planner you can find in the bookstore. For me, that adaptability works wonders because I’m not keeping everything in my brain. Bullet journaling is a mind-dump. A mind-dump that lets you use colored markers and stickers.

If this sounds like something you need in your life, below is a quick and dirty guide to bullet journaling.

Picture Source: 1, author’s own

A senior English Writing major at Pitt, one of the senior editors here at HC Pitt. The resident maker, news junkie, and history nerd, I can hem your pants and tutor you in the American Civil War, no problem!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt