This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Most girls have a morning/night routine that they (try) to do every day. When the seasons change, so should your routine. The fall (actually it should be winter semester, I mean we live in Pittsburgh) brings cold air, dry wind, allergies, and sickness. Don’t worry, you can battle these extremities with a few amazing products! They aren’t that expensive, so you don’t have to give up a week’s worth of food to feel or look good. Along with these products, make sure you drink water every day and get servings of fruit in. Water hydrates your skin and makes it look radiant and healthy. Many people forget to eat fruit in the winter and are missing key vitamins and nutrients that ward off disease and keep skin radiant. I have super sensitive skin and have tested hundreds (literally) of beauty products. These are the best of the best.

1. A Good Moisturizer

This is the most important product. If you don’t do anything else, moisturize. My ride or die is Dream Cream from Ava Anderson. It is organic and contains no harmful chemicals at all. The cream is super thick so you don’t have to use much, which makes it last longer (about 6 months). It feels so wonderful, like I’m giving my skin a hug. You can use this on your face and body. It works on all skin types, from dry to oily to acne-prone. Another alternative is Simple brand or Aveeno. Look for key ingredients like tea tree oil.

2. Acne Killer

When the weather changes, your skin is stressed out which means – guess what – you get breakouts just in time for midterms. It’s hard to find something that works if your skin is usually dry or sensitive. Birth control pills can help, but I’ve found that Clean & Clear’s persa-gel-10 is amazing. It has maximum strength of 10% benzoyl peroxide medication. Plus, it only costs $7 at ULTA. You can get the generic version at Rite-Aid, CVS, or Target for cheaper if you want. Put on before your moisturizer, wait a few minutes for it to soak in, and then apply your lotion.

3. Face Mask

The brand Feeling Beautify has so many wonderful face masks. My favorite is the Cucumber Facial Peel-Off Mask ($4.29). You can find it at any drug store. It feels cool on your skin and calms redness and inflamed acne spots. It takes about 10 minutes to dry and then you peel it off. It leaves your face feeling refreshed and clean. It usually doesn’t dry my skin out at all, but if I’m having a particularly bad day where my skin is dryer than the Sahara, I’ll put on a little moisturizer. The charcoal and black sugar scrub is good for getting rid of Pittsburgh smog and blackheads. The clay masks are good for purging your pores and hydrating your skin. There are over 7 kinds to choose from, so use whatever works for your needs!

4. A Good Foundation

I used to use Bare Minerals, but it started to get too expensive for me. Now, I use matte liquid foundation. My favorite is Maybelline’s Fit Me Foundation. It comes in over 8 shades and you can choose matte + poreless or dewy + smooth. Both cost $8 and last about 2 – 3 months depending on how much you use. I’ve found that I can use as little as I want or I can build up on problem areas without it getting cakey. Maybelline also makes a Fit Me pressed powder you can use to set your foundation or use as foundation if you don’t like liquid.

5. Good Mascara

My aunt told me that when there’s a new season, you need new mascara. Using mascara that is too old and dried out will damage your eyelashes and take longer to put on nicely. My favorite mascara used to be Revlon’s Grow Luscious Mascara ($4), but it’s getting harder and harder to find. It actually helped my eyelashes to grow longer and the brush gave them a natural look. Currently, I’m using Maybelline’s Volum’ Express Colossal Mascara ($7) and I LOVE IT! It takes 5 seconds to put on and my lashes look luscious and healthy. The formula is really hydrating which keeps my lashes soft. 

6. Bold Lip Color

Girl, this is the time to play and experiment! Fall and winter bring bold, dark colors and your makeup should reflect that. NYX makes TONS of lip products that are $6 or less. My suggestion is to use the Soft Matte Lip Cream or the Butter Lipsticks. The Matte Lip Cream is the perfect in-between lipstick and gloss. It’s creamy and feels smooth and nice on the skin. Personally, this is the best lip product (besides chapstick, which you should always have) I’ve ever used. My favorite shades are Prague, Stockholm, and Monte Carlo.

7. Eyeshadow Palette

Some girls own every Urban Decay palette. That’s like $350, which I’m not about to pay. A great alternative is ULTA’s version, the Rose Gold Natural Eye Shadow Palette. Shades range from light and natural to dark and edgy. The neutral colors go with every outfit and occasion. The best thing? It’s only $20.

Other tips: Wash your makeup brushes after every use with soap and water. It keeps bacteria from rubbing into your skin time after time. This is the main thing that cleared my acne up. Secondly, use good makeup brushes. Cheap ones can irritate your skin. I recommend Ecotools. Good for your face, good for the environment. Trying to figure out what beauty products to use is time consuming and annoying, especially if you don’t like the ones you are using. Hopefully this list helped you!

Image credit: 1 (x/x), 2, 3, 4 (x/x), 5 (x/x), 6, 7

Sarah Churchman, HC Pitt's Senior Editor, is a super senior at the University of Pittsburgh studying Computer & Information Science with a specialty in User Design! She is the reserach lead in CyREN, the school's cybersecurity lab. Along with InfoSci, Sarah is minoring in Creative Writing with a focus in poetry. She is an editor at Forbes & Fifth, a student-run magazine. She is also part of H2o church. She's obsessed with tacos, Tommy Hilfiger, and ordering things off Amazon Prime!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt