This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s that time of year. Midterms are ending and it’s already time to start thinking about finals and courses for next semester. Sprinkle in a little bit (or more like three hours worth) of homework, and maybe a pinch of anxiety, and you have the perfect recipe for burnout. 

Students everywhere suffer from burnout, and the feelings that come with it, such as lack of productivity, low energy levels, sadness, and stress. You aren’t alone, and even though it may feel like you may never recover, there are ways that you can handle all of these feelings. 

Prioritize Your Self-Care

Self-care is huge when it comes to handling your burnout. Take a break from everything that is going on in your life, and take a minute to yourself. Some ways that you can prioritize your self-care include: 

• going on a walk 
  • getting a good night’s sleep 
  • writing in a journal 
  • meditating
  • watching an episode of your favorite TV show 

Find something that you enjoy doing and that will help you relax and recharge. 

Talk to People that You Can Trust

Talking about the way that you are feeling is extremely helpful if you are suffering from burnout. Turn to your support system and the people that know you best, if you are comfortable. The people who are closest to you can provide you with comfort and relief from the stress that you can be going through.  

If you aren’t comfortable turning to your family or friends, therapy is always an option. People often view therapy as a very taboo, but in all honesty, sometimes you can benefit from talking to a stranger, or someone that doesn’t know you that well. You may be prone to share more about yourself because this person has no preconceived notions about you. 

Evaluate Your Existing Commitments

Looking at your current schedule and everything that you have going on in your life can help when dealing with burnout. If possible, try moving around events so that you have more time for everything that you want or need to accomplish. When it comes to classes, sometimes we all need that mental health day. If it’s a class that you know that you can miss without falling behind, or if you just don’t mind missing the class, take a day. Sleep in. Do other work. It may feel like it in the moment, but the world won’t end if you miss one day of class. Evaluate what you have on your plate, and make the decisions from there. 

The most important thing to remember is that burnout is okay and completely normal. Everyone experiences it at one point or another in their lives. But if you try to manage your symptoms and feelings, everything will be okay in the end. Just have patience and grace with yourself, and realize that things will get better. 

Ella is currently a freshman at the University of Pittsburgh pursuing a degree in Communications. She loves reading and writing in her free time and loves getting to talk about important topics or events in the media.