All Carbs, No Regrets: A Pittsburgh Bagel Crawl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Since the 1880’s, bagels have been a popular food throughout the U.S., but it all started in the good ol’ Big Apple. When thousands of Jewish Eastern Europeans started immigrating, they brought along their love for the hole-y ring of bread. The first bagel-baking union was formed in 1907 (just decades after the invention of cream cheese in 1872), and since then the novelty of this easy-to-eat and versatile food has never gotten old. 

Although New York, New Jersey, and Philadelphia are known for their impressive bagels, Pitt students are on the constant hunt for a quality bagel in the Steel City…and luckily, we have several spots all within walking distance of campus and each other. So, I embarked on the ever so tedious task of eating my way through some of Oakland’s most popular bagel shops, armed with a big appetite and extra-special affinity for the doughy baked good.

Panera Bread

Pros: Fast

Cons: Inconsistent quality

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate Panera as much as the next soup loving gal, but their bagels are a little less than ideal in terms of true quality. It may just be my luck, but it seems like each time I get my bagel it’s too toasted, cut unevenly, and often times, far too chewy. Regardless, when in a pinch, it’s easy to count on Panera for a quick bite – and I’ll be honest, I’ll never say no to a Cinnamon Crunch bagel with tangy plain cream cheese, even if it is a little burnt around the edges– yum!

Einstein Bros

Pros: Multiple locations, assortment of spreads, and variety of hot and cold sandwiches

Cons: Wait time (Thank you Tapingo for speeding this up)

There’s not one, not two, but three of these gems tucked throughout Pitt’s campus: two are in academic buildings (the real motivation for going to that class you dread), and one is just a short walk away in North Oakland. A lunchtime favorite for many students, Einstein’s has a huge assortment of breakfast sandwiches, toppings, and my favorite, shmears – both sweet and savory. I love the fact that their bagels maintain a tough exterior with a bit of a bite, but even after being toasted they stay soft on the inside. 

Breugger’s Bagels

Pros: Quick, cheap, lots of options 

Cons: Smaller size

Among all the bagel shops around, the one that receives most praise for breakfast sandwiches is certainly Breugger’s. Their bacon, egg, and cheese on any bagel of your choosing is sure to satisfy both any salty or sweet cravings you may start your morning off with. Although their bagels felt a bit smaller than other places’, they made up for it with a huge variety of types of bagels (like Rosemary Olive Oil and Cranberry Orange), as well as the cheap prices that came along with it!

The Bagel Factory

Pros: Homemade taste, super filling

Cons: Super filling

Commonly compared to the deluxe bagels of New York City, The Bagel Factory is home to a Nova Lox bagel that can compete with ones from the Empire State. Tons of New Yorkers mentioned to me that this is the spot to go to get a taste of what a bagel should taste like, so how could I resist? And in the end, they weren’t wrong. My second time around, I got a whole wheat bagel with a huge helping of peanut butter (as well as a coffee and donut shake) and it took almost as long to eat as an entire meal because it was so satisfying! Plus, there’s an entire board of different menu items, like French toast and salads to choose from if you’re not in the mood for a bagel (I mean I’ve never had that feeling before, but to each their own).

Bagels or bae-goals, am I right?

Article Sources: 1

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (author’s own)

Elaine is a food loving, FRIENDS watching, Oxford comma enthusiast who has a passion for writing. She is a Business Information Systems and Human Resources Management double major and shares a love for people, languages, and technology. When she isn't experimenting in the kitchen or posting on @AndAChocolateDrizzle, she is either reading, laughing, or venturing through the city on the hunt for the best slice of pizza. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt