freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Adventures of Online Dating: Bacon Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I am one of those people who has never used Kik or Tinder to talk or meet new people, so when I heard about Sizzl, a new dating app by Oscar Meyer, I was a little skeptical. But I was also WAY too curious to not check it out.

What is Sizzl?

Sizzl is a free online dating app that’s sole purpose is helping bacon lovers meet (or meat) each other. How romantic is that?

How does it work?

First, users create a profile and answer questions such as their gender, age and who they are interested in. Things get a little more fascinating when users answer questions based on their bacon preferences. These questions include:

What kind of bacon do you love the most?

Pork

Turkey

Both

What type of bacon do you prefer?

Hardwood smoked for a really long time

Thick Cut, because more is more

Maple and sweet like me

Lower Sodium!

If a friend tried to serve you bacon that was flavored with liquid sodium, you’d…

Stick it in their eye

Eat it politely, even though it’s clearly not that good

Discreetly crumble it in your napkin

How do you like your bacon cooked?

Chewy

Crispy

Burnt

And most importantly…

If you’re on a date and there’s one strip of bacon left, you…

Take it, obviously

Generously give it away

Split it

The app then uses GPS to find matches for users based on their geography.

I made a profile, so what happens now?

Once your profile is made, you can now “heart” photos you find smokin’ or move past profiles like Tinder. The longer you hold down the “heart” the more Sizzl you feel for the other person. There is a Sizzl-meter that indicates your level of interest (low, medium or hot Sizzl), but the other person is never able to see your rating. 

Finally, when two people “heart” each other’s profiles, they can message each other and spread the bacon love. The app suggests you start the conversation with “what’s cookin good lookin?”

Expectation vs. Reality

Expectation: Many people would be using Sizzl.

Reality: Since the app is very new, there are not many users on it yet, so there are fewer options for a future baecon. It does not help that Sizzl is currently only compatible with iPhones.

Expectation: There is no such thing as too many bacon puns.

Reality: After spending several days using Sizzl, you hear every pun under the sun. A few of my personal favorites were “bacon my way downtown,” “don’t go bacon my heart,” “bacon and chill,” and “What’s in a name? That which we call bacon by any other name would smell as sweet.”

Expectation: I would meet my future soulmate and we would have a bacon wedding (which has actually happened before! See photo below.).

Reality: I was not expecting this one, which was good because every conversation I had with my matches centered on bacon and only bacon. I was even asked on a date, where we would “snuggle up and eat a pound or something,” but I politely declined the offer.

My journey through the world of bacon love was definitely a hilarious, crazy ride that I can now cross of off my bucket list! If you are looking for a future baecon or just want to meet someone who will share your love of bacon, I definitely recommend trying out this app.

Check out Oscar Meyer’s promo video for Sizzl here

Photo Credits: 1, 2

Junior Fiction Writing and English Literature double majors Italian Studies minor Fun facts: I love all things Italy! My last name even means bread and my friends call me toast. My spirit animals are unicorns, mermaids or Hello Kitty(:
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt