Cherry Blossoms on the North Shore
Cherry Blossoms on the North Shore
Photo by Joshua Rodes
Life > Experiences

A Weekend in Pittsburgh Itinerary for First-Time Visitors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

There is so much to do in Pittsburgh that at first it can feel overwhelming to host visitors. Between Pitt’s campus, sporting events, cute neighborhoods like Squirrel Hill and delicious food, it might be hard to narrow down your list, especially if your guest has never been to Pittsburgh before. Here are some of the essential activities that you should definitely include in your weekend Pittsburgh itinerary.

The cathedral of learning

In addition to being the tallest educational building in the Western Hemisphere, it also resembles Hogwarts inside! Seeing Cathy for the first time is a moment you won’t forget and it’s the perfect place to start your tour of Pitt’s campus.

A sporting event

Pittsburgh has a sports team to satisfy everyone: the Steelers (in my opinion, the best option!), Pirates, Penguins, all of Pitt’s teams and a local spikeball game on Cathy’s lawn if you’re lucky. Students get discounted tickets to a lot of these functions and can sometimes even get extra tickets for guests. No matter what time of year your visitor comes, there will likely be a sporting event going on, and with all of the stadiums overlooking the city’s gorgeous skyline, it’s definitely worth checking out.

the strip district

Whether you’re in the mood for a corny Pittsburgh t-shirt, a delicious meal or groceries from a fresh market, the Strip District will have what you’re looking for. It’s walkable and is full of fun stores to pop in and out of.

a classic pittsburgh eating experience

Pittsburgh has some of the best food I’ve ever tasted. If you’ve never been, you cannot end your trip without having tried at least one of these iconic restaurants: Primanti Brothers, Pamela’s Diner, DeLuca’s Diner, and other popular restaurants on campus like The Porch and Stack’d. Depending on the time of year, there might even be a food festival happening like Picklesburgh or the Pierogi Festival.

the duquesne incline

To get the perfect view of the Pittsburgh skyline, take the incline up the hill and snap an iconic photo of the city. It’s the perfect photo opportunity and it’s a great place to acclimate to the city.

walk a bridge

Pittsburgh is known as the “City of Bridges” and it has certainly earned that title. The city is pretty spread out and is full of colorful and majestic bridges. Head downtown and check out the Fort Pitt Bridge to catch a view of the water and also take some photos!

Museums

Pittsburgh has a lot of great museums to choose from. With the Carnegie Museum of Art, Andy Warhol Museum, Mattress Factory, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Carnegie Science Center and the Heinz History Center as options, there’s a museum to suit everyone’s interests.

explore the neighborhoods

There are so many unique and eventful neighborhoods in Pittsburgh like Squirrel Hill, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, and Shadyside. Each neighborhood has quaint shops and restaurants and it’s definitely worth dedicating a day (or weekend!) to exploring them all!

Hi, I'm Olivia! I'm a senior at the University of Pittsburgh pursuing a major in Neuroscience, minors in Spanish, Africana Studies, and Chemistry, and a certificate in Global Health! In my free time you can find me at the gym, listening to a podcast, or hanging out with my friends!