Porch
Porch
Original photo by Katy Montgomery

A Thank You to HC Pitt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

This is such a bittersweet post to be writing. I joined HC Pitt as a sophomore looking for a club to be my creative outlet and something that wasn’t directly related to my engineering degree. What I found was a truly amazing experience that I’m going to be carrying with me for the rest of my life. During my time as a member, executive board member and CC come to an end I want to write a thank you to HC Pitt and all of the amazing women I’ve met because of this organization.

Every minute that I’ve spent as a member has been a good one. While the Covid-19 pandemic drastically reshaped what HC Pitt looks like, I’m still proud to say that this was the club I chose to be the most active in. Some of my most fun nights were spent crammed in the small apartment of a former member (shoutout Kate) or hauling loads of HC gear from building to building in the pouring rain after events on campus. Nights like those and events like coffee chats with members are the things that I’m most grateful for.

Writing for Her Campus has never once felt like a chore or just another thing to do. Honestly, it’s been the biggest source of consistency in my routine. Even if I’m writing a collab article or something like this, I have always looked forward to sitting down and doing it. Writing my silly little articles has been my temporary escape from reality for the past three years, and I honestly think I would have gone a little bit crazier without it.

My second year with the club I served as the PR and Events Chair. This year was definitely different as it was in the middle of the pandemic, so we were barred from hosting a lot of events. Despite this, I still made some awesome memories and am eternally grateful for the chance to serve on the Executive Board even as a relatively new member.

I’ve had an even better time serving as President and CC this past school year. While I’m glad to be graduating with my degree, I also recognize that I’m leaving a lot behind. I’ll miss the weekly meetings and contributing to HC Pitt as a writer, along with being responsible for a lot of the behind the scenes action. Like I said, I’m so excited to move onto the next chapter of my life as a teacher, and I’m so grateful for what HC has given to me, but my exit is so bittersweet. Growing up and moving on is a part of life, but it’s hard to let go of the things that made life so good for so long.

I’ve tried running my own blog previously, and I never quite stuck to it for more than a few months. I don’t know what it is about HC that kept me writing and inspired. Maybe it’s the truly awesome group of women I’ve met and work with, or maybe it’s something else. I really mean it when I say that I always look forward to sitting down and writing almost every week. This year more than ever I’ve been contributing consistently, only taking a week off here or there, but I’ve never felt pressured into writing. Maybe I’ll try to keep writing on my own personal blog again sometime in the future. I don’t know if it’ll have quite the same flair though.

One last time, thank you HC Pitt. Thank you to all the girls I’ve met and the friends I’ve made. Thank you for the memories and laughs. Lastly, thank you for helping me to become a better leader than I was and teaching me about consistency in life and how important it is to stick with the things you love even when you’re a little overwhelmed. Thank you, HCXO, Sabrina.

I'm a mechanical engineering major with a passion for sustainability and green energy. In my free time I love to skateboard, drink coffee, and listen to music.