emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Unique Stores in Pittsburgh You Don’t Want to Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Believe it or not, there are stores in Pittsburgh beyond the Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters in the SouthSide Works. Pittsburgh is home to awesome museums, local eats, breathtaking views, and unique shopping. While the Strip District is your ultimate shopping location for any and all foods, the city also has used bookstores, gift stores, vintage clothing shops, and much more.  Next time you’re looking to treat yourself to a gift, check out these stores for one-of-a-kind finds!

1. Kards Unlimited

Quite possibly my favorite store in the ‘burgh, you can spend hours just walking around this store on Walnut Street and look at every little item. If you’re a bookworm, the selection of classics, cookbooks, and humorous Urban Outfitter-type books will grab your attention the second you walk in. You could spend forever looking at every book and deciding which to purchase. Move further into the store only to find a huge selection of cards for every occasion. Kards Unlimited sells a ton of unique, adorable cards that you won’t find anywhere else. I highly suggest checking out the “Love” section and getting a cheesy card for your significant other. Before you leave, make sure to check out all of the little knick-knacks and kooky gifts up front and around the store, like the fake mustaches. The vibe of Kards is just so relaxed and fun that you’ll feel like a kid again.

2. Caliban Book Shop

With a close proximity to campus, this used and rare bookstore on S. Craig Street is so quaint. Stop by after eating lunch at Lulu’s Noodles or the Union Grill for a good read (if you can’t tell, I like reading). It’s hard to read for fun in college, but I motivate myself by buying these used books. I get excited to read and then try my best to find time to do so. They have a great selection for a used bookstore, and are reasonably priced. You never know what great find will pop up, so take a study break and start exploring the shelves!

3. Eureka Chocolate and Gifts

If you’re in the mood to treat yourself to a sweet, stop by Eureka Chocolate and Gifts on Copeland Street, right off of Walnut Street. Located next to Girasole (up a set of stairs), this cute little store has a wide selection of truffles that are both delicious and beautifully crafted. They make a great treat to snack on as you continue to shop on Walnut Street. If you need a gift for mom, the store also sells some cute home items like picture frames, wall decorations, and dog-related items. Each item is more beautiful than the next!

4. Clothes Minded

Located on Liberty Ave. in Bloomfield, Clothes Minded can be easily reached by bus with your friends. A used clothing store, Clothes Minded has vintage clothing to suit any style. Their selection includes apparel, shoes, and accessories for both men and women from designers like Dior, BCBG, Chanel, and more. Sold at affordable prices, you’ll find anything from designers to vintage band tees. Check out a selection of the awesome goodies has to offer on their Instagram account, @clothes_minded_pgh.

5. Culture Shop

Another great find close to campus located right on S. Craig Street! While some of the items are pricey, you can find great tapestries and jewelry at the Culture Shop. I bought two of my favorite rings from there that I’ve worn since freshman year, and they’re both in perfect condition. While I wasn’t thrilled about spending around $30 at the time, they’ve lasted longer than any rings I’ve ever had without any rust or wear. Stop in and admire the unique patterned scarves, fabrics, and detailed tapestries!

6. Highway Robbery Vintage

Next time you’re in South Side, head to Highway Robbery Vintage instead of the mainstream stores! The unique storefront sells affordable, vintage pieces from the ’50s to the early ’90s. The store’s items are perfect to pair with any outfit to add a little retro flair. Whether you want to spice up your wardrobe, or need an outfit for a themed party, stop by E. Carson Street and explore the wonders of Highway Robbery Vintage!

7. Jerry’s Records

If you’ve never been, Jerry’s Records is a classic in Pittsburgh. Located on Murray Ave. in Squirrel Hill — a cool street to begin with — Jerry’s Records contains rows and rows of old vinyl records to get lost in. You could spend hours looking through all of them, all to realize that you didn’t even hit the basement yet, where you can find many rock records for only a buck. Make sure you have time to dig through and find any records you may be looking for, because there are ceiling high shelves to go through! The store is cash only, so come prepared to spend every last penny.

8. Amazing Books & Records

It’d only be right if I finished on a bookstore. After Jerry’s Records, stop in a couple stores down at Amazing Books & Records on Murray Ave. to pick up a cheap read. If you’re looking to sell your own books, bring them in and you may receive cash, or even more in-store credit towards other books! You can’t beat the great prices of these stores — just last week, I bought a book for half off. Happy reading!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, Author, 6, 7, 8

Katie handles the day-to-day management, development and expansion of our chapter network to ensure that our on-campus presence is stronger than ever. She recently graduated from the University of Pittsburgh, where she studied Nonfiction Writing and Communication. Her extensive Her Campus background dates back to 2012 and she has since held the position of Campus Correspondent and Chapter Advisor. When Katie isn’t watching the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can find her trying new restaurants, obsessing over her long list of shows (The O.C., Scandal and Gilmore Girls are top picks) or setting out to find the perfect donut.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt