8 Things People With Depression LOVE Hearing In The Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Winter always tends to be a season that’s difficult for those struggling with depression. Between seasonal depression, the declining sunlight, and the holidays, there are plenty of problems ahead. And, it seems our family and friends know just the things to make us feel great… or not so great. Here are just some of the things you should definitely say to someone with depression this holiday season, because it’s bound to make them feel awesome about themselves!

1. “You’ll be happy once you find someone!”

Yes, because the only way I can ever be truly happy is by relying on someone else! Thank you for reminding me, I forgot I couldn’t be happy all on my own!

2. “Well, there’s no money/future/stability in that…”

I’m glad you pointed this out, because it’s not like my own mind doesn’t say that every time I think about my future career!

3. “It’s a weather thing.”

I understand weather can be a factor in depression, but I guess you forgot about the other nine months of the year. Honest mistake, really.

4. “You’ll snap out of it eventually.”

You mean if I just snap my fingers, my mental illness will just disappear? You should be a doctor, really!

5.“How can you be so sad at the most wonderful time of the year?”

Did you ever stop to think that not everyone likes the holidays? Maybe they have their reasons, or, you know, their depression prohibits them from feeling the joy they used to feel around the holidays?

6. “You’re probably sad because you don’t want to hang out with your friends/you’re isolating yourself.”

It’s not that I don’t want to hang out with my friends — it’s that my depression makes me too tired to do anything, or it’s telling me that my friends are better off hanging out without me. My depression is isolating me…it’s not my choice. But you’re right, let me force myself to do something I’m not up to, just to get looks from my friends because I’m acting funny.

7.“You should be thankful/happy you aren’t as bad as other people.”

You’re right, I’m being selfish because my mental illness is not as bad as someone else’s mental illness. Why are you making this a contest? Who hurt you, Janet?

8.* insert insensitive comment about any type of mental illness here *

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Madison is a Sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh and is majoring in Psychology. She enjoys drawing, music, pugs, and fro-yo.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt