jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

7 Things I Wish I Knew During My Last Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

There’s no “right” way to handle a breakup. Every relationship and every individual requires a different kind of recovery process. Whether you are going through it or your best friend is, here are seven things I wish I knew during my last breakup.

1. Breathe

Breathe in, breathe out. Take a moment, a day, a month or as long as you need to calm down and process the breakup. Whether you initiated the break up or it completely blind-sided you, understand that you are going to experience every emotion.

2. Call home

Call your mom, dad, brother, sister, grandparent, dog, cat, etc. Having your attention pulled to someone you love and who loves you no matter what is extremely comforting.

3. Date your girlfriends

Make a plan with your best friend for dinner, shopping, a movie, etc. Your friends are your support system that will be there through every man that comes in and out of your life. A bottle of wine never hurts, too!

4. Create a break up playlist

Girl power! Make a Spotify playlist of empowering, funny, feel-good songs to lift you up when you are feeling down. Some of my favorites include Elle King, Rihanna, and Hailee Steinfeld and Astrid S.

5. Revenge is not the best option

Put down the spray paint and the baseball bat! Being destructive is not going to help the situation. You may wish your ex could feel half as much of your pain but a restraining order or a bill for the repainting of their car is not worth it. 

6. Healthy habits

Avoid binge eating, drinking, sleeping or any other bad habits you might want to turn to. Falling into these habits will only make you feel worse and can be harmful in the long run.

7. Do not settle

It’s been said that they best way to get over someone is to get under someone else. This is not true! Do not lower your standards for someone who will not make you happy in the long run. Take some time to be happy by yourself!

Photo Credit: 1

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt