Style > Beauty

7 Black & Women Owned Beauty Brands that will Transform Your Beauty Routines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

When you are washing your hair, applying lipstick or painting your nails, do you ever think about who created the brands you are using? The answer is probably no, but it should be yes! The beauty industry has continuously struggled with diversity and inclusion, and as consumers, we share some of the responsibility. Who we give our money to is important, and we can show our support for Black women, and the Black community, by supporting their businesses and brands.

Miss Jessie’s

If you have been following #curlygirlmethod or #hairtok on TikTok, then you would know that Miss Jessie’s is a favorite. Founded by sisters Miko and Titi Branch, Miss Jessie’s is a haircare brand made specifically for curly, kinky and wavy hair types. The Branch Sisters were inspired to start a haircare brand while working in their salon, Miss Jessie’s Salon, and realized a need for more product options in the curly hair community.

EDEN BodyWorks

Affordable! Inclusive! What more could you ask for? EDEN BodyWorks has haircare for all hair types at an affordable price – under $10. Jasmine Lawrence created EDEN BodyWorks after suffering from a hair-damaging chemical burn at the age of 11. She was inspired to create her brand after realizing she had an underwhelming number of options to help her restore her hair.

Mented Cosmetics

Is it really possible to find the perfect nude lipstick? KJ Miller and Amanda E. Johnson, founders of Mented Cosmetics, believe so. Mented Cosmetics was originally created for women of all skin tones to be able to find the perfect nude lipstick to match their complexion. The brand now offers a variety of makeup products like eyeshadow palettes and blushes.

The Lip Bar

Melissa Butler believes that the media should not influence women to follow a certain beauty standard, and that everyone deserves to feel beautiful in their own skin. Rejected from Shark Tank in 2015, The Lip Bar has since gained popularity and can be found in over 1,000 stores nationwide. The Lip Bar has a full range of makeup products from face makeup to shimmery liquid eye shadows and fun-colored lipsticks and lip-glosses.  

Foxie Cosmetics

Coolest. Brand. Ever. Foxie, or Kayla Phillips, started Foxie Cosmetics in 2015. She handcrafts all of her bath, body, skin and haircare products, while also touring as a professional musician in multiple bands. All of Foxie Cosmetics products aim to soothe aches and pains because Foxie is also part of the chronic illness community. All of her products are affordable, colorful and fun!

Mischo Beauty

Who knew that nail polish could be bad for your health? Kitiya Mischo King didn’t know the adverse effects nail polish could have on your health until she was pregnant with her first son. Traditional ingredients found in nail polish have been known to contribute to cancer, birth defects, reproductive issues, nausea, light-headedness, headaches and the list goes on. Mischo Beauty is vegan-friendly, cruelty-free, gluten-free, non-toxic and available in over 15 different shades.

Joye Did It Nail Studio

Do you ever wish that you could skip the nail salon but still get nail salon results? Joye Did It Nail Studio is located in Atlanta, Georgia, but that doesn’t mean you can’t purchase Joye’s beautiful nail art if you live in a different state. Joye Reshard opened her nail studio in 2017, and now offers luxury press-on nails to purchase through her website. You can pick from ready-to-ship designs or even customize your own! All press-on sets are offered in a variety of lengths, shapes and sizes.

Hi, I'm Jaden! I'm a sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh studying Media and Professional Communications. Outside of Her Campus I am the social media chair for Leading Women of Tomorrow at Pitt. In my spare time I enjoy reading, journaling, watching netflix/tiktoks, and listening to Mac Miller.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt