Career

6 Tips on How to Ace Your Next Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Interviews and applications for jobs can be an extremely stress-inducing process. As juniors and seniors gear up for graduation and the upcoming summer, it’s likely they may have some interviews to prepare for and applications to submit. Here are a few tips and tricks to make job and internship interviews a little less scary.

Research the Role

Though this seems like a given, put some thought into your application by researching the role. Research the company, explore their website, and think about why you are interested in this specific position. By being aware of the company’s mission and values you have a better idea of what to ask during a potential interview and how to approach questions you may be asked.

Be on time

Punctuality is your employer’s first impression of you. Arriving early shows that you genuinely care about a position. By being on-time or even a little early to an interview, you can allow yourself to be more comfortable in the space and give yourself a little bit of a chance to relax. Giving yourself a little time and not racing to the meeting can help you to take a deep breath and collect your bearings. Employers notice when you put in the efforts to be professional, and they’ll admire that you’re on time.

Bring Copies of Your Resume

You may have to submit your resume in advance for the position, but it’s always a good idea to have an extra copy on your person in case someone asks. Additionally, reread your resume and know it intimately in case they ask about any previous work experiences listed.

Be Aware Of Filler Words

We have this tendency when we are nervous to babble using words such as “uh,” “um” and even “you know.” Be conscious of answering questions without these filler words to appear more confident and self-assured. Unfortunately, women are often penalized for their use of filler words in interviews. Take a minute to consider the question you’re being asked, repeat it to fully understand what you’re being asked, and then slowly answer. It’s not a race to give the best possible answer, it’s about your confidence and experiences. Think about what you want to say and avoid falling into the pit of fillers.

Be prepared with questions

At the end of your interview, you will likely be asked if you have any questions about the company and you may come to a blank. Think for a moment about what interests you, but don’t bring up salary on the first interview. Consider questions that will help you decide whether or not the role is a fit for yourself such as: What does a typical workday look like? Or How would you describe the dynamic of your team?

Be friendly and just be yourself

The interviewer wants to get to know you as a person to see if you would fit with their team. Take the time to be friendly, smile, and enjoy the process of talking to another person. Your potential employer is also a human being who wants to fill the job position just as badly as you may want the position. Remind yourself it’s not life or death and you can be yourself.

Katelyn is a media professional communications major with minors in theatre and music. In her spare time she enjoys exploring pittsburgh, hanging out with her friends, and singing.