6 Songs that are Probably Going to Get Stuck in Your Head

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

We all have those days—those days when that dreaded song won’t leave your head, no matter what you do. Those songs have a term: earworms. According to Merriam-Webster dictionary (yes, it’s in the dictionary!), an earworm is, “A song or melody that keeps repeating in one’s mind.” Studies show that the only way to get rid of an earworm is to replace it with another. Here are the songs I normally get stuck in my head. Listen to them the next time you come across an earworm!

1. “Drinking Games” by Library Voices

I don’t know what it is about this song, but it ALWAYS gets stuck in my head. It’s pretty much a guarantee that I’ll end up subconsciously humming it at least once a week, even when I haven’t listened to it in a while.

2. “The Hustle” by Van McCoy & The Soul City Symphony

It’s that dang flute solo! I don’t think anyone can listen to this song and not whistle it afterwards- I dare you to try. Wouldn’t it be awesome if music on the radio today sounded like this?

3. “Ms. Jackson” by Outkast

My roommate and I end up singing this song (or, at least the chorus) randomly all the time. It’s just so catchy!

4. “Hooked on a Feeling” by Blue Swede

This song always makes me smile. Whether you get the “Ouga Chaka ouga” or the lyrics stuck in your head, don’t complain, because the entire song is plain awesome.

5. “No Scrubs” by TLC

I just want to hum and dance all day!

6. “Shape of My Heart” by Backstreet Boys

I am not ashamed to admit that I tend to sing this song at the top of my lungs while pretending to be a female member of the Backstreet Boys (including their classic hand moves). It tends to get stuck in my head pretty often as well, usually resulting in an impromptu solo with a hairbrush as a microphone.

The next time you experience an earworm, listen to another catchy song (Pssst! One of the ones listed above!). Or, go to this fancy website. With their “reverse-auditory-melodic-unstickification technology,” you’re likely to get rid of that earworm in no time!

Remember, the only cure to earworms is more music; which, in my opinion, is the best medicine ever! 

Photo Credit

Fredrika is a 2015 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh. While at Pitt, she acted as writer, Assistant Senior Editor, and Chapter Advisor for Her Campus and the Her Campus Pittsburgh chapter. She originally hails from Stockholm, Sweden, but has lived in the Northern Virginia area for eighteen years. Follow Fredrika on her personal Twitter, @FredrikaUS!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt