This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Are you getting bored of the same study playlist? Is Netflix not doing it for you anymore? Look no further- podcasts are here to save the day! Podcasts are audio segments that can range from a few minutes to hours long. In a podcast, a host (or a number of hosts) can address and discuss topics in any subject matter. Below is a compilation of descriptions for our favorite podcasts. Listener discretion may be advised!

Schnitt Talk

Schnitt Talk is hosted by Barstool Sports’ Ellie Schnitt and her producer, Alanna. Episodes range from 20 minutes long up to just over an hour and they talk about anything and everything. Schnitt doesn’t shy away from topics that our grandparents would grimace at the thought of like embracing hookups (episode 47) or how to take the best nude photos of yourself (episode 40). On the other hand, Schnitt also discusses feminine health, mental health and a range of personal subjects that are so important to talk about. The hosts are both in their twenties, super relatable and an overall joy to listen to. They can find humor in any subject, which helps make the harder or more awkward topics easier to digest.

Call Her Daddy

Call Her Daddy is a hilarious podcast hosted by two best friends, Sofia Franklyn and Alexandra Cooper. On the podcast, the girls candidly discuss an array of topics like sexual advice, funny sexual experiences, how to grow to be comfortable with your body, how to deal with unwanted admirers and how to deal with a bad break up. Although the hosts are addressing very serious topics, they maintain a very lighthearted and relatable tone, which attracts listeners to tune-in as if they were listening to the big sister they never had telling a story. This podcast is entertaining, comical, but most importantly- it’s empowering. Through Call Her Daddy, Sofia and Alexandra are effectively taking back the power and normalizing topics that society so often tries to suppress. These girls are so rad!

This Podcast Will Kill You

This Podcast Will Kill You is an amazingly well-done podcast that is centered around deadly and often communicable diseases. Doctor Erin Welsh and Doctor Erin Allmann Updyke are two friends who both happen to be epidemiologists. What’s an epidemiologist? They explain that (spoiler alert: it’s someone who studies epidemics). If you’re worried about not being able to sort through intense science vocabulary, don’t be! These women explain the biology, history and present-day effect of each disease in terms that everyone can understand. This is almost guaranteed to be the most informative hour of your life. Even though you aren’t physically sitting in the room with the Erins it feels like you’re right there having a face to face discussion. It’s like a private office hour where you can feel your brain power growing every time you listen.

Ologies

Ologies with Alie Ward is the best podcast to listen to if you’re like me and love everything science related. Each episode, Ward picks an “ology,” finds an expert on the study, interviews them and dispenses that knowledge to the world via her podcast. At the time of writing there are 109 episodes that cover a range of topics from common studies that you hear about in high school to “ologies” that are downright wacky. What is cucurbitology you might ask? It’s the study of pumpkins. Alie Ward interviews Anne Copeland to talk about all things orange (or white or green!) gourd-related. Sometimes, there’s so much knowledge to share that there will be multiple episodes on one topic. That’s okay though, we don’t mind listening to over two hours’ worth of discussion about “potterology.”

Mile Higher Podcast

Mile Higher Podcast is guaranteed to give you chills, if not make you question everything you know! The hosts of the independent podcast are a husband and wife duo, Josh and Kendall Rae, from Denver, Colorado and neither shy away from addressing any murderer, mystery or conspiracy theory. In hour-plus long episodes, the pair have addressed a variety of topics, including Ted Bundy, the Golden State Killer and the Bermuda Triangle conspiracy theory. Each episode presents detailed, well-researched information about the topic at hand while the duo explores a number of angles, biases and possible explanations. This podcast is especially great to study with as background noise because it will get your adrenaline flowing and keep you on your toes throughout the entire episode.

Kendall Rae

Kendall Rae is the personal podcast of Kendall Rae from Mile Higher Podcast and it is a must-listen, too! The episodes of this podcast tend to be shorter in length, but are equally as exciting and thought-provoking in content as the episodes in Mile Higher Podcast. The contents of Kendall’s personal podcast tend to center mostly around publicizing and promoting the stories of missing women and children in the hopes of returning them to their home. Additionally, Kendall Rae also enjoys addressing less empirically-based theories, such as astrological signs and the psyche of a killer. On both podcasts, Kendall is an excellent story-teller and really understands how to whole-heartedly capture an audience’s attention. Give it a listen and get ready for the spook!

Podcasts are an amazing time filler. What’s better than learning while you chill in a bubble bath or have to spend nine hours a day filing paperwork? Almost every genre of television show has a podcast equivalent, which means it’s super easy to get both breaking national news and your daily dose of comedy all while eating lunch alone in the campus dining hall. Conveniently, you can find most podcasts where you already find your music: Spotify, Apple Music and Google Play all have sections dedicated to these free blurbs of information. Stitcher is also a great way to find new ‘casts. It’s unique in the fact that it only hosts podcasts and as an added bonus there are Stitcher-specific podcasts and episodes (hello, Bill Nye talking about the science of food!). HC Pitt loves listening to podcasts and we hope at least one of our favorites will become one of yours!

I'm a mechanical engineering major with a passion for sustainability and green energy. In my free time I love to skateboard, drink coffee, and listen to music.
Megan Stafford is a second-year undeclared science major at Pitt. When she is not studying, Megan enjoys traveling, visiting art galleries, and trying new coffee shops.
Erin is the President of HC Pitt. She is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering, currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering. Besides Her Campus, she is also involved in Pitt American Society of Civil Engineers. When Erin isn't studying, you can find her dancing, binging New Girl, jamming out to John Mayer or exploring the Burgh!