Style > Fashion

6 Pairs of Shoes Every College Woman Needs in Their Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Now that classes are in person again, one of the best parts of being able to go out is dressing up. And after a year and a half of wearing shoes roughly once a week, it might be time to revamp your closet.

Whether you’re new to college or just looking for a fresh start, here are the essential shoes you’ll need to have in your closet.

Sneakers
girl with jean jacket and skirt jumping 1
Taylor Thoman / Her Campus

No closet is complete without a go-to, everyday pair of sneakers. When you’re walking (or, let’s be honest, running) to class, you’ll want a supportive, comfortable pair of sneakers to slip on.

bonus- hang onto those old shoes

If you’re buying new sneakers, don’t get rid of your old ones! They might be a little too beat up to wear to class, but they’re still good for a night out or an outdoors adventure. They’re comfortable for walking, hiking, dancing and whatever else you might get into. Plus, you don’t have to worry about getting them dirty.

flip flops

Rubber flip flops are an absolute essential, especially for dorm living. They make great shower shoes, and they’re always good to have around as an easy slip-on. Quick trip to the dining hall in between studying? You’ve got it covered.

heels

Networking event at 8 and a formal at 9? No time to run home and change? A pair of neutral heels will be your best friend. The best shoes are the ones you can maximize, and a pair of black, brown or navy heels comes in handy for many occasions.

waterproof boots

A good pair of waterproof boots will serve you well in every season. They can keep you dry in rain or snow, and when it gets cold, pair them with thick socks to stay warm no matter the weather. For every Pittsburgh college student who is familiar with our unpredictable weather, these are an absolute must.

Sandals
sandals sidewalk flowers
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

Whether you’re hanging out with friends, going on a date or just looking to get a little dressed up for class, it’s always good to have a cute, casual pair of sandals. Wear them with your favorite jeans or dress for a look that’s elegant and comfortable!

When you’re ready to get back out there, remember to express yourself and have fun!

Elizabeth is a senior at Pitt majoring in English Writing and French. When she's not writing for hc, Elizabeth likes cooking, spending time with friends, and exploring Pittsburgh's cultural side.