The 6 Best iOS 10 Features

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Apple is known for its major software updates that change up just about everything on iPhones. These updates usually include a lot of flashy and exciting new features, as well as some major game changers that you might not even realize are there. iOS 10 was released recently and this update is no exception. Here are the coolest iOS 10 features that you should know about.

1. iMessage

This is the probably the first change you’ll notice when you download iOS 10. In iMessage, there’s now a feature that makes it easy to search for and share photos and GIFs straight from the internet. There are also lots of fun new animations to help you express yourself. For example, you can send your texts accompanied with balloons or fireworks. Finally, there is the invisible ink feature, which will hide what your text says in the iMessage app until the recipient is ready to read it.

2. New Sounds

This change is pretty minor, but even small updates can be exciting! The sounds for locking your iPhone and typing have changed. They’re a little subtler, for those of us who like hearing them while typing, but were annoyed with the old clicking ones.

3. Control Center

When you swipe up from the bottom of your iPhone and access the control center you’ll find your music controls are no longer immediately on display there. Instead, swipe left to find a panel dedicated solely to your music. You can see what song you’re listening to, as well as skip songs and change the volume. The new different flashlight settings are also helpful. You can now choose between a bright, medium or low flashlight. Unfortunately, this flashlight update will only work if you have 3D Touch.

4. Deleting Extra Apps

Say goodbye to all the apps you never use! I don’t know about anyone else, but I used to have a folder on my phone titled “Useless Apps” that I never looked at. Luckily with iOS 10 you can now save space by deleting some of the apps that come pre-installed on your iPhone. For example, you now have the option to get rid of things like Stocks, Tips, Maps, Voice Memos, Compass, and more.

5. Read Receipts

We’ve all done it before: you’re not always ready to talk to someone who texts you, so you avoid reading what they said in iMessage so that your read receipts don’t let them know that you saw their text. Luckily, you can now turn individual read receipts on or off depending on who you’re talking to. If you want to change the setting for a person or group message, simply open up your conversation and click on the little “i” in the upper left corner.

6. Emojis

Always the most exciting part about a major software update is the new emojis! For starters, there’s a new feature within iMessage that allows you to replace words that you’ve typed with emojis. This update includes a lot of new, more inclusive emojis, as well as updating the look of the pre-existing ones. There are now emojis depicting single parent families. You can also now choose between female and male athletes and professionals. Last but not least, there’s finally a rainbow pride flag!

Photo credit:

1, 2, 3, 4

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt