5 Ways You Know the Holidays Are Coming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The holidays are right around the corner! We all know because a calendar tells us the dates, but what other signs are there?

1. Light Up Night

Anyone that lives around Pittsburgh knows about Light Up Night, the night that all of the lights and trees are lit up downtown. The beautiful lights are a sure sign that the holidays are coming up!

2. Christmas commercials

Every other commercial on TV is all about Christmas. That’s it. If it’s a car commercial, they throw snow and Christmas hats on everyone and everything. If it’s a soda commercial, add some polar bears or penguins. TV is constantly reminding us that Christmas is 3 months away.

3. Changing store decorations

The day of Halloween, I walked into to Target and, yes, they were already setting up for Christmas. Everything was being decorated and it really made Christmas seem closer than it actually was.

4. Weather changes

The changing weather is usually only a big deal up North. The South has some weather changes, but living in Arizona, Florida, and Texas for most of my life has made me forget how low the temperature can actually get. I can’t even remember the last time I’ve been in anything lower than 20 degrees! Snow and rapidly dropping temperatures are both great indicators of the winter holidays!

(Texas: The day we got out of school because of ice.)

5. “What was that thing you mentioned you really wanted a month or two ago?” “Why?” “No reason.”

If you hear these words in the last few months of the year, you know everyone is preparing for Christmas and you know exactly what you are getting!

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4

Katie handles the day-to-day management, development and expansion of our chapter network to ensure that our on-campus presence is stronger than ever. She recently graduated from the University of Pittsburgh, where she studied Nonfiction Writing and Communication. Her extensive Her Campus background dates back to 2012 and she has since held the position of Campus Correspondent and Chapter Advisor. When Katie isn’t watching the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can find her trying new restaurants, obsessing over her long list of shows (The O.C., Scandal and Gilmore Girls are top picks) or setting out to find the perfect donut.