Style > Beauty

5 Ways to Manage Breakouts On Your Journey to Clear Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

So, you’ve decided this is the year your skin is finally going to clear up. Maybe you’ve gotten a new cream from the dermatologist, a new birth control prescription from your doctor/gynecologist or a new detox regimen guaranteed to cleanse everything from your kidneys to your skin. Whether you’re going through “the purge” (thanks to those mentioned above), or it’s just that time of the month, here are five tips and products to help you manage your breakouts in the short-term while on the long-term journey for better skin.

1. Acne/Hydrocolloid Patches

When you find yourself debating whether or not to pick and pop that pimple, choose to not and instead, stick one of these on. Originally used for blisters and skin wounds to absorb moisture from the wound and prevent infection, hydrocolloid patches have since been altered in size and fitted with extra benefits to virtually lift zits right off your face.

2. Clay Masks

A classic skincare staple, the clay mask can deep clean your skin and your stress reserve from the week. Add a clay mask into your skincare routine to get rid of extra oil and to help dry up pimples. This one, when mixed with apple cider vinegar, has been said to take care of all types of acne, even cystic!

3. Benzoyl Peroxide/Spot Treatments

For a more potent acne treatment (in case a pimple patch wouldn’t stand a chance against your acne), consider spot treatments containing ingredients such as benzoyl peroxide which kill the bacteria that cause acne. Warning: If you have sensitive skin or are already using a topical acne treatment from a dermatologist, consult your doctor first. If benzoyl peroxide isn’t an option, also consider the ‘pink drying lotion’ you may have seen floating around Instagram which contains salicylic acid, another acne-fighting ingredient, and also dries up pimples.

4. Sensitive Skin Relief

If your skin has become dry and sensitive/prone to redness from acne treatments, make sure you’re not forgetting to moisturize! (Tip: Make sure your moisturizer is non-comedogenic; meaning it won’t clog pores and cause more acne.) If lotions aren’t enough to keep the peeling and sensitivity at bay, try facial oils like the one pictured above!

Note: If you’re looking for a more economical option, some natural remedies to try are squalene oil and hempseed oil. Both are non-comedogenic and have been found to help with inflammation caused by acne.

5. Makeup Cover-up

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Whatever the case, if your skin is still in-progress and you need to use a little makeup to feel your best, here are some tips and tricks to keep in mind.

1. Make sure your skin is well moisturized beforehand and don’t forget the sunscreen! (Make sure your sunscreen won’t clog your skin either!)

2. Color correct your redness with green concealer and “flatten” acne bumps with a concealer slightly darker than your normal shade.

3. A lot of mattifying makeup products tend to clog your pores which can cause more acne. If you can’t give up your matte powder, try to find a non-comedogenic alternative or at least use a noncomedogenic/oil free foundation.

4. If you are willing to give up your powder, try a setting mist for budge-proof, smudge-proof protection and a healthy glow.

5. Most importantly, remove all makeup and CLEANSE your skin thoroughly before bed. Don’t forget to keep any tools and brushes clean as well!

Photo Credit: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Christine is a sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt