diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Beat the Back to School Funk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Getting adjusted to a new, hectic schedule after a (hopefully) relaxing summer is no easy task… especially when you’re constantly surrounded by distractions and temptations that make it hard to get back into the swing of things. It may be hard to balance schoolwork, extracurricular activities, a job, staying healthy, and having a social life when trying to get acclimated to new classes and the start of a new semester, so follow some of these ‘Friendly’ tips to get on track.

1. Set a time and place to do schoolwork

Sure, studying at home where your roommates, bed, TV, and plenty of other distractions reside may sound appealing, but ultimately it can make it hard to get work done. Find a spot on campus that is quiet and can serve as a private place for you to study and do homework without worrying about a distraction making you veer off task. Not to mention, you will get your work done more quickly without having to ask friends to quiet down.

2. Don’t let temptations get the best of you

The best way to avoid an unnecessary fast food run, for both your wallet and your waist, is to plan. If you know you have a lot of classes to get through before you even have time to think about eating, pack some snacks to bring along with you. It may seem like such a simple thought, but sticking to the fruit and granola bars you pack in the morning can help you stay on the straight and narrow for staying in shape.

3. Get into a workout routine — with friends!

It’s far easier to convince yourself to sleep in for an extra hour than it is to wake up early and go workout, but it’s much easier to do the latter when you know you have someone waiting there for you. Whether it’s picking a couple of days during the week to make a stop at the gym, taking a yoga class, or going on a run together, having some type of accountability with some of your gals will force you to be up and active because you’ll have other people counting on you.

4. Don’t nap every day

I know, I know, who doesn’t love a good nap? I quickly learned that my reliance on the nap I planned for after my morning class every day was not exactly the greatest idea. Because of it, I would stay awake later and later and end up sleeping more during the day than I did at night. As hard as it may be, try to avoid the comfort of your bed for a boost of energy and instead go on a short walk, listen to music, or drink some tea to perk up. You’ll be more productive, you’ll sleep better that night, and you’ll be all ready for tomorrow.

5. Don’t get discouraged on your bad days

Sure, you might have been doing a great job of avoiding the late night Ben & Jerry’s in your freezer or the Friday night pizzeria stop on the way home, but sometimes a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do. You’ve been productive and stayed on track all week long – an indulging treat at the end of the week is A-okay. A slice of pizza (or two) won’t break your healthy diet, plus, could you imagine cutting it out completely? After a couple of weeks you’ll want nothing more than to binge on the things you’ve been craving, so allowing yourself a cheat here and there will benefit you in the long run.

The sooner you start, the sooner you get to celebrate your success, so incorporate these ideas into your day and be ready to love your new routine!

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Elaine is a food loving, FRIENDS watching, Oxford comma enthusiast who has a passion for writing. She is a Business Information Systems and Human Resources Management double major and shares a love for people, languages, and technology. When she isn't experimenting in the kitchen or posting on @AndAChocolateDrizzle, she is either reading, laughing, or venturing through the city on the hunt for the best slice of pizza. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt