This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Living in the age of the streaming wars can be super stressful. There are so many streaming services to choose from and if you are subscribed to more than one, those monthly payments can be quite expensive. There is nothing worse than feeling like you can’t find ANYTHING to watch, even with tons of TV shows and movies to choose from! So, here are five underrated TV series on HBO Max and Netflix that will make your subscriptions worth it and keep you entertained!

Master of None

Master of None is one of THE BEST shows on Netflix! Besides starring Aziz Ansari (which is a reason in and of itself to watch), this series is super funny and heart-warming. The show is about a character named Dev, who lives in New York City, and his life. The second season is filmed in black and white and might be the most beautiful season of television I have ever watched. Rumour has it there might be a third season coming soon so watch the first two before it comes out! This show does not dissapoint!

Lovecraft Country

Lovecraft Country is an HBO Original, which means you know its bound to be incredible! Originally a book, this fantasy/horror series will keep you on the edge of your seat. I’m not usually a huge sci-fi fan but this show is so good that I don’t mind it! Set in the 1950s, it follows the main character Atticus as he ventures through the South trying to find his missing father. This show screams black excellence and teaches you about black history just as much as it entertains you! There’s only one season out now but I have a feeling there will be more to come.

I Know This Much Is True

This limited series on HBO Max is emotional and captivating. It follows twin brothers, Derrick and Thomas, who have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, as they try and uncover information about their family history after their mother’s death. After filming the entire series as Derrick, Mark Ruffalo gained over 50 pounds and filmed his role as Thomas. The acting in the show is incredible, so check it out!

Dark

This German Netflix show will have you hooked! It follows the story of two kids who go missing in a small German town. There are three incredible seasons so turn your subtitles on, grab some popcorn and give it a watch!

The Leftovers

Another HBO Max Series (sorry, not sorry!) that you will love! In this show, two percent of the world’s population suddenly disappears and everyone left behind is consumed with figuring out why. There are three seasons and some consider it to have of the best endings to a TV series ever! Watch it and see for yourself!

Hi, I'm Olivia! I'm a senior at the University of Pittsburgh pursuing a major in Neuroscience, minors in Spanish, Africana Studies, and Chemistry, and a certificate in Global Health! In my free time you can find me at the gym, listening to a podcast, or hanging out with my friends!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt