5 Things We Learned At #HerConference

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

A week ago was the fourth-annual Her Conference in NYC, and HC Pitt went all out! Some of our writers headed to the Big Apple to join in on the fun. The conference was made up of two days of panels and keynote speakers from Seventeen to Refinery29 to everything in-between. They discussed topics like careers in social media, the life of an entry level editorial writer, and there was even a panel about women in tech jobs!  ‘

The Her Campus vibe was strong with members from all over the world (hey, Canada and UK!) excited and ready to take-on the “real world.” Here are a few things that we took away from the weekend.

1. You can do it. Yes, you.

When someone tells you can’t, you show them you can. That’s what we learned from Laura Brouenstein, special projects director at Cosmo and Seventeen. She’s partnered with #ActuallySheCan, encouraging young women to shoot higher and be the best they can be. It was a theme throughout the entire weekend, too. You can do anything if you try hard enough.

2. Stay Cool.

“People who freak out never helped anybody,” Amy Odell, editor of Cosmopolitan.com told her panel, “Climbing the Ladder: Journalism Jobs Later On.” Life is crazy. Life happens. Life will be crazy and happen, even when you’re at work. It’s okay to cry if you need to, but stay levelheaded. The more calm-and-collected you are, the more people can trust you with more and more responsibility. Life happens, but you have to roll with it. It’s okay to fail, it’s going to happen – but you can totally recover every time.

3. Network!

It’s all who you know in the industry. Be smart, but be kind. Stay in touch with the editors you meet, but don’t be pushy. Be interested in their life, not just their job.  That’s how you learn. Meet and learn from as many people as you can, because you never know who knows who and where they’ll end up.

4. You have to have that fire Tweet-game.

Next time your mom tells you to put your phone down and stop, “twittering or whatever it’s called,” tell her it’s for your job. Literally. The digital world is an all-consuming beast. Even if you work print, you’ll probably have part of your job be digital. It’s vital in today’s world that you not only have a clear understanding of social media, but that you’re on it and use it actively. You have to #hashtag if you want to be a #girlboss. Be sure you keep everything appropriate, though. Karaoke night may be fun with your friends, but maybe your Instagram followers don’t have to see your drunken rendition of “Fireball,” while downing a handle. (That’s why we have Snapchat.)

5. Be You.

It’s corny, and clichéd, but it’s true. If you’re not your true self, employers will totally see through it. Learn from others around you and above you but incorporate everything into you. Be honest with yourself.

If you want to catch up on  some of the speakers and quotes from the weekend, be sure you head over to our Twitter @HerCampusPitt and our Instagram, to re-live the weekend! We totally wish we could. #HCXO

Thank you, Her Campus!

Image Credit: All pictures via @HercampusPitt on Instagram

Entertainment Editor, Her Campus Pitt @abbystubenbort i like bands & boybands & burritos & pop culture
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt