5 Study Abroad Tips I Wish Someone Told Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I studied abroad in London this past summer for six weeks, and it was the most rewarding experience of my life. I had an amazing internship with a political party, traveled all over England and Europe, and made some amazing friends. I also learned a lot about myself and gained the courage to step out of my comfort zone. Still, despite my experience, there are so many things that I wish I knew before I traveled abroad that I’d like to share. So, here are five tips that will make your experience even more amazing than it would have been without them:

1. Packing and Preparing 101

When packing for the trip, I would not recommend using space-saver bags. I found that my suitcase weighed more when I used them than it would have without them. Try to only bring what you absolutely think you will need to use for your first few weeks there, because chances are you are going to shop a lot and buy a lot things to bring back. It is also important to have a case on all electronics, such as your U.S. phone, computer, camera, etc. In addition, if it is affordable to insure them, do so.

2. The Ins and Outs of Buying a Cellphone

Check online for international phones before you leave the States. I had an old prepaid phone, with limited capabilities that I had to keep topping up (loading money on), but one girl had a more updated phone and her plan came with more minutes, Internet, and 3,000 free text messages. Her phone cost more initially, but in the end, I spent more money adding minutes to my phone every week than what she paid for her phone and plan. If you do not buy a phone before leaving, do not buy a phone at the airport because it will be a complete rip-off. Airport stores know that you are new to the area and that you do not know how much a phone is supposed to cost, so they raise the prices. Wait until you get to your homestay or apartment because there is probably a neighborhood cellphone store where you are living.

3. Precautions About Hitting the Clubs

Money: When going out, never bring too much cash, and leave your credit cards at home. You only need enough cash to get into the club (if it isn’t free) and enough to take a taxi (if you are too drunk to navigate the bus). Don’t bring any more than that because people do pickpocket.

Navigating Your Way Home: I got lost on the bus so many times at night. Check which bus you should take home before you go out. Buses in Europe don’t work the same as Pittsburgh buses; so don’t assume that just because you know the Pittsburgh city, you’ll be able to figure out any city. Also, be aware of sketchy looking taxis. Just because they offer you a cheaper rate does not mean that they are safe.

Hooking Up: You’re going to meet guys, and when I was abroad YOLO was my favorite phrase. Every club I went to, I got hit on and while I wasn’t complaining about the attention, one of my friends left us for a guy one night who later got super stalker-ish and clingy. If you do meet a guy, do not hang out with him alone. If he’s with his friends, invite them over to where you and your friends are.  

4. Hidden ATM Fees

I would recommend to anyone going abroad to check with your American bank before you leave or buy a travel cash card. Banks charge to use debit and check cards overseas. I did not know until a week into my time abroad that my home bank, Bank of America, is partnered with Barclays and that I would have gotten charged less transaction fees using their ATMs. Moreover, do not be fooled by the “Free Withdrawals” signs next to some ATMs. The withdrawals are free for people who have a banking account in the country you are staying in.

5. Finding Affordable Excursions

I know when you go abroad, you just want to have fun; but if you know there is a place you want to travel, book it early. People told me to go to sites like Easyjet and Ryanair to find cheap flights; however, these sites can be just as expensive as airlines in America if you wait too long to book. Also, be aware of hidden fees: Ryanair may offer you a cheap rate, but sometimes there are taxes and other fees that they add on before you board. Also, I would recommend bus tours that take you around the country. For example, when I studied in London, I booked a lot of my trips around England with Anderson Tours, and they sometimes had student discounts as well. 

Photo Credit

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt