5 Sex Positions That Will Help Tone Your Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I’ve heard so many rumors floating around about sex and how it affects your body. This week, I decided to go around to random women in the student union and ask what is the most common myth they heard about sex and your body. Twelve of them told me that they had heard that sex makes you burn calories. That’s true. You can burn hundreds of calories during sex and the longer you and your partner do it, the more you burn. Sex is also good for your body because it allows you to tone your muscles. I asked what position that they thought worked your body the most and the first position almost everyone said was “Cowgirl.” However, this is not the only position that will give you a good workout. There are numerous sexual positions that allow you to tone your abs, thighs, and butt. Below I have included my top five favorites.

1. Cowgirl or Reverse Cowgirl

Cowgirl is my favorite position for a workout because it’s one that can be performed almost anytime you and your partner have sex. Both Cowgirl and Reverse Cowgirl are effective in working your abs, arms, and butt. While riding your partner, squeeze your core and butt. Placing your hands on either side of your partner’s body will allow you to hold yourself up and strengthen your arm muscles in the process. For a triceps workout, do Reverse Cowgirl and extend your arms backward to hold your body up. The longer you’re on top of him rotating your hips, the more you work these muscles.

1. Standing

Standing is a position that requires the strength of both you and your partner. If you have both of your legs wrapped around him, you work your core, upper legs, and arms as you use balance to hold yourself up. To improve your arm strength don’t wrap your arms around him, brace them against to wall. I prefer standing, because it is a position that will not only improve your physical strength, but your stamina as well.

1. Bridge

This is a great position to tone your entire body. With your back on the floor, push your arms and feet off the ground to raise your body.  If you have good balance, you can wrap your legs around him, but if not, keep your feet planted on the floor. This position works your arms, lower abs, quads, calves, and glutes because you have to hold your body up the entire time your partner is thrusting. You won’t be able to hold this position for long during your first time, but if you incorporate it each time you and your partner have sex, you’ll be able to do it longer, and work more of your body.

1. Missionary

People always make this sound like a boring sexual position. However, it has one of the biggest effects on your butt and abdomen. While you’re lying on your back, contract your butt and abdomen muscles for the best workout effect. Missionary is also good for stretching and toning your inner thighs because you have your legs extended and open for a long period of time. If you want to enhance your missionary experience, stretch more frequently before you and your partner have sex. If your partner can extend your leg above his shoulder, it will allow for deeper penetration and work more of your butt and thigh muscles.

1. Doggy-Style

If you have not tried this position, it should be next on your to-do list. For this position, you get on all fours, and your partner thrusts into you from behind. It works your core by forcing you to stabilize yourself. Like the other ones I’ve mentioned, Doggy- Style also works your arms. For a full arm and shoulder workout, hold yourself up completely like you would do during a push-up. Doggy-Style also works your glutes and abs. While he’s thrusting into you, you can squeeze your butt and pelvic floor muscles and for a fuller workout.

Image credit here.

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt