5 Reasons Why Robert Downey Jr. is Awesome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I know very little about acting. I’m just an incredibly gifted faker.”

– Robert Downey Jr.

Sorry RDJ, but I’d have to disagree with you to some extent! I think you’re incredibly gifted at everything. Simply put, my love for Robert Downey Jr. burns with the intensity of one thousand suns. I may or may not be typing this article wearing an Iron Man t-shirt and Sherlock Holmes hat. What? It’s fueling my motivation! I’m not the only one that is a “fan girl” for him, though. There seems to be a universal understanding that Robert Downey Jr. is the greatest human being alive. Here are just a few reasons why:

1. Robert Downey Jr. IS Iron Man.

RDJ is Tony Stark. Tony Stark is RDJ. They are the same person. Tony Stark has to be one of the best character creations, but RDJ seems to act the same exact way in interviews and interactions with fans. So the question remains: is Tony Stark actually a character or did they just give RDJ a different name for the film? The world may never know.

How cool of a super hero is Iron Man, though? The storyline says that Tony Stark, extremely intelligent and a wealthy engineer, is captured in the Middle East. He’s forced to build a missile for the enemy, but instead builds an armored suit that’s powered by the energy source trapped in his chest from the initial terrorist attack and his capture. With this suit, he saves the village in Afghanistan that he’s trapped in and afterward, flies home. With this new technology back in his L.A. lab, he creates newer versions of the suit and begins saving the world. Voile! The birth of Iron Man.

(This picture is Robert Downey Jr. at Comic Con 2012. Look at his suit, glasses, facial hair, and Iron Man prosthetic. This picture is self-explanatory: RDJ is Iron Man). 

2. He’s a phenomenal actor.

He’s quoted at the beginning of this article for saying that he knows very little about acting, yet he’s just gifted at being a faker. Has he seen his own movies? This man possesses a very large amount of talent. He’s known most recently for The Avengers, Iron Man, Sherlock Holmes, and Tropic Thunder, but his career as an actor started long ago. As an RDJ fanatic, I’ve tried my best to see many of the older movies he’s starred in. His performances in Chaplin (1992), Less than Zero (1987), Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) and A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints (2006) are just a few of my favorites that show off his amazing gift of being a “faker.”

3. He had a rough past, and bounced back.

RDJ started getting involved with drugs at age 6. He was arrested several times from 1996 to 2001 for drug related charges involving cocaine, heroine, and marijuana. His addiction started at age 8 because his father (also involved in Hollywood) was an addict who provided him with drugs. He’s been in and out of jail, rehab, and has relapsed several times. However, in mid 2001, he was ready for a comeback. He starred in Elton John’s “I Want Love” music video and went up from there. He acted in independent films and produced a solo album. Then, in the summer of 2008, he starred in two blockbusters: Iron Man and Tropic Thunder. Since then he’s been in numerous blockbusters and is coined as being one of the greatest actors of our generation. He’s now sober, successful, and I’m damn proud of him!

4. He’s a good human being.

He visits kids in hospitals and gives them Iron Man helmets, donates to a broad range of charity funds, and has an undying love for his wife, Susan Downey, yet he’s not afraid to show it! He loves and appreciates every single one of his fans, which can be seen in any interaction. He has it all—talented, handsome, awesome, and a good heart.

5. He’s the coolest person, ever.

No, really, he’s the coolest person ever. His interviews and speeches at award shows are genius. He’s hilarious, witty, kind, energetic, and did I mention hilarious? He knows who he is and he’s not afraid to say what he wants! He’s also not afraid to make fun of himself and act completely ridiculous. His costars adore him; my favorites are the interactions with the Avengers cast and his bromance with Jude Law. He doesn’t try to be awesome, he just is.

The moral of the story is Robert Downey Jr. is the greatest person ever. If loving him is wrong, I don’t want to be right.

Sources:

1, 2, 3, 4

Photo Credit:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt