5 Perks Every Pitt Student Should Take Advantage Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

As a Pitt student, there are many cool features that come with your Pitt ID. After a busy week of classes, homework, quizzes and/or tests, every student needs to give their body rest and enjoy the ‘Burgh! With your Pitt ID, you can do just that, and it might not even cost you a cent! Here are five things that every Pitt student should take advantage of! 

Free Bus Rides

One of the major perks that come with your Pitt ID is free bus rides. With your student ID, you can ride all of the Port Authority buses around Pittsburgh for free. Whether you’re looking to head downtown to catch a Pirates game, visit Shadyside or maybe even get a ride to the airport, there is a Port Authority bus to get you to your destination! Once you enter the bus, all you need to do is tap your Pitt ID, and then you’re set to go! I definitely recommend getting a transit app like Moovit to help you figure out the bus schedule and when your bus should be arriving!

Free Tickets to Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens

Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is definitely a one of a kind place to visit, and is a must-see as a Pitt student. Year round, Phipps offers different exhibits and they change due to the season. Their most recent featured exhibit is the Spring Flower Show: Sunshine and Rainbows. Phipps offers an array of beautiful exhibits full of flowers and greenery. The scenery serves as an amazing background for a plethora of photos. With your Pitt ID, you can get into Phipps for free and experience all of the beautiful nature it has to offer!

Free Tickets to Different Museums

Through PITT ARTS, students can visit an array of different museums all around the area. Right on campus, students can get free tickets to the Carnegie Museum of Natural History and Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall and Museum. Downtown, you can visit the Senator John Heinz History Center and the Fort Pitt Museum all for free! On the Northside, right by Heinz Field, students can check out the Carnegie Science Center and the Andy Warhol Museum for free, as well. Last but not least, one of my favorites is the Mattress Factory! Students can visit the Mattress Factory free of charge and explore all the different exhibits that it has to offer. Like Phipps, the Mattress Factory’s photo opportunities won’t disappoint! Make sure to check the link below to see how you can go about getting free tickets to all of these museums!

https://www.studentaffairs.pitt.edu/pittarts/freemuseum/

Pitt Sports

Being a Pitt Panther means showing your Panther Pride for Pitt Athletics! Whether it’s sitting in the Panther Pitt at Heinz Field for a football game, cheering on the Pitt basketball teams in the Oakland Zoo or supporting Pitt’s Women’s Volleyball team, there are so many ways to get out and see all the different sports Pitt has to offer. Most of the sports events are free with a Pitt ID, however students do have to purchase tickets for football and men’s basketball games. You can choose to purchase season tickets for either sport or both, or you can choose to purchase single game tickets as well. Trust me, being at a Pitt athletic event is exhilarating, and you don’t want to miss out!

Student Discounts
money and change
Original Illustration in Canva for Her Campus Media

This applies to many schools, so don’t forget that being a college student has its perks, especially when it comes to discounts! Make up the money you’re spending on tuition by saving money on other expenses. Apps like Student Beans or UNiDAYS offer discounts made specifically for students. The discounts include some of the top brands like Aerie, Adidas and so many more!  There is even a new local student discount through StudentBeans, where students can save some money on Pittsburgh Pirates tickets!

You’re only a Pitt Panther once, so why not use your Pitt ID for its perks?

Serena is a Junior at the University of Pittsburgh who is majoring in English Writing with minors in Creative Writing and Legal Studies. When she's not writing short stories for class, Serena loves to write for HC Pitt, listen to music, and watch Jersey Shore!