5 (Not-Too-Scary) Halloween Movies You Should Watch this October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The rise of October means one thing and one thing only: it’s time to whip out our favorite Halloween movies to binge watch!

If you aren’t the biggest fan of scary, horror-filled, nightmare-inducing Halloween movies (like myself), then you may feel like there aren’t too many film options for you to get into the Halloween spirit. But I am here to debunk that feeling and turn you toward a few of my favorite tame Halloween movies!

1) Halloweentown

Number one on my list is Disney’s Halloweentown! This has been an all-time favorite of mine for years and I try to rewatch it every October. This movie follows a family of witches who live in the real world but are from an alternate universe called “Halloweentown.” They fight evil, have magic powers, fly on magic broomsticks and get possessed by villains — everything you need from a good Halloween movie. There are still some mildly-scary moments (ones that definitely scarred me as a child), but is overall a very lighthearted Halloween movie that never fails to get me in the spirit! If you like this movie, there are three more Halloweentown films in the series.

2) Hocus Pocus

Number two on my list is Hocus Pocus — an absolute classic (if 1993 can be considered a classic?). This movie follows a boy named Max who unleashes a coven of three witches in Salem, Massachusetts. To stop the witches from becoming immortal, he has to work alongside his sister and his friend to steal the witches’ spell book. The three witches in the movie (played by Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy) are absolutely hilarious and will make you both laugh and cry throughout the entire movie. If you have not watched this movie yet, you need to immediately!

3) TwitchES

Number three on my list is Disney’s Twitches! This movie is another Disney classic that I grew up watching. In this movie, two long-lost twin sisters reunite and use their witchy powers to save their family’s magic kingdom. The twin sisters are played by Tia and Tamara Mowry (who are twin sisters in real life), and both bring a terrifically funny vibe to the whole film. Overall, a great Disney movie to get you in the Halloween spirit.

4) The Addams FamilY

Number four is The Addams Family! I watched this movie for the first time this past year, and while it is undoubtedly weird, I would still recommend it. If not just to understand the cultural phenomenon that is The Addams Family, then I would watch this movie for the incredibly dry but hilarious humor littered throughout.

In the words of Morticia Addams, “Wednesday’s at that very special age when a girl has only one thing on her mind… Homicide.” If you’ve heard this quote on TikTok and didn’t know it was from The Addams Family, then go watch it right now!

5) It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

To cap off this short Halloween movie list, number five is It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. While this is a bit different from the other movies I included on the list, I feel like this one still deserves a spot. It’s an incredibly wholesome, nostalgic movie that always reminds me of my childhood! There’s just something about Lucy’s mildly-abusive comments that gets you into the Halloween spirit.

We’re at that very special time of year when we have only one thing on our minds… Halloween movies. So get watching!

I am a Linguistics and Political Science major at the University of Pittsburgh. I love to read any and all books, listen to music, and spend time learning new things!