5 Healthy Food Alternatives When Dealing With Cramps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Since my ovaries like to play guessing games with me on when I am about to get my period, I sometimes rarely have the chance to prepare to deal with my cramps, especially if I don’t have a bed nearby. As disturbing as this image may seem, 9 times out of 10, I consider removing my ovaries in the hope that I will never have to experience the pain of cramps again.  After this dramatic thought, I usually grab a Thermacare and find every opportunity I can to sit and eat! My food options in the past were not considered the healthiest of choices, but a girl who has her period has every excuse to binge on comfort food. Or so I thought. My go-to junk food for cramps was a culprit in making the pain worse.  Though it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure the connection between junk food and worsening of cramps, here is a list of five healthy and just as delicious foods that may alleviate your cramps.

1. Bananas –Potassium can help relieve muscle contractions. Eating foods with potassium can ease, if not eliminate, the cramps. Try mixing bananas with other fruit and make yourself a smoothie! If the thought of bananas make you gag then try other fruits that are also rich in potassium such as papayas, cantaloupe, avocados, strawberries, or oranges, just to name a few.

1. Peanut Butter Jelly Time-Sorry, I had to! Peanut butter contains Vitamin E, which in turn can help reduce the pain and elevate your mood. Instead of jelly, try putting almonds and cranberries on top of the peanut butter spread or put a bit of honey and banana slices to mix it up. Pinterest is your best friend when you’re in need of new recipe ideas.

1. Broccoli –Steam up the broccoli, add a pinch of salt or pepper, mix it with a bit of cheese (too much dairy can increase cramps) and you have the perfect meal remedy for the PMS blues. Broccoli carries magnesium and helps regulate estrogen levels as well as reduce irritability. If broccoli doesn’t sit well with your taste buds, eating spinach, black beans, and whole wheat bread and cereals will do the trick. 

1. Pineapple- Considered a natural muscle relaxer because they contain bromelain, pineapples will help alleviate and reduce inflammation.  Although you can eat pineapple to help reduce the cramps, drinking pineapple juice may help a bit more than eating pineapple.

1. Herbal Tea- Drinking water is a must if you want to stop the pain. However, if you need a bit more taste, especially with your meals, tea is a good substitute and better than sugary drinks.  Chamomile tea, for example, is an anti-inflammatory and can be used to treat cramps. Raspberry leaf tea and green tea help ease and relax your cramps. Try adding a bit of ginger, which is known to have anti-inflammatory properties.

So readers, kick your cramps to the curb with one of these healthier options. There are many more healthy alternatives if these don’t work out. The important thing to remember is to avoid salt, dairy, caffeine, and processed foods. If your cramps continue to be a pain, try your new cramp diet with fun activities proven to eliminate cramps such as rest, exercising, yoga, a massage, a warm bath, and believe it or not, even orgasms!

Photo Credit: 

http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/ea…

http://www.videojug.com/film/h…

http://www.natures-health-food…

Samantha Saenz is a senior at Pitt. She is a Communication Science and Disorders major with a theatre minor. Sam loves movies and great TV shows and will probably write about it at least 90% of the time. She is in Pitt Ballet Club and has enjoyed her time with the girls from HerCampus Pitt.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt