This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Orange leaves, pumpkin spice, cozy sweaters…tell-tale signs that fall is upon us! One of my favorite things to do when autumn hits is curl up in my bed with a book that perfectly encapsulates the fall vibes. As the weather turns colder, I’ve compiled a list of the top books I’m planning to dig into this fall, which includes cherished texts and new reads. Let’s dig in!

A Secret History – Donna Tartt

A Secret History was the first title that sprang to mind as I reflected on the most quintessential autumnal books. Set in a New England liberal arts college, A Secret History is about six college students who grapple with their own moralities following a fatal incident. Anything set in New England is automatically a fall book to me, but A Secret History especially so – the dark academia vibes are through the roof, and a significant portion of the novel is set in a college classics class. Need I say more?

Rosemary’s Baby – Ira Levin

Perhaps I’m biased, as Ira Levin’s novel is my favorite book of all time, but I can’t think of a better read for the fall season than Rosemary’s Baby. Its release in 1967 was so positively received that it sparked a “horror boom,” whereafter horror novels reached tremendous heights, and for good reason. The titular character, Rosemary, moves to New York City with her actor husband in a gothic style apartment building and begins to suspect her odd neighbors plan to use her and her unborn child in Satanic rituals. Rosemary’s Baby is the perfect mix of pure fall energy and visceral horror, making it the perfect book to curl up with this season.

Dracula – Bram Stoker

Count Dracula is perhaps one of the most well-known literary figures in pop culture. The character was born from the novel Dracula by Bram Stoker in 1897, which describes the Transylvanian vampire as he lives in his castle. He soon becomes obsessed with the beautiful Lucy Westenra, and is eventually hunted down by the townspeople of England. Dracula is a fall classic, both for its original depiction of the archetypal vampire and the Gothic writing style, and I’m excited to power through it for the first time this year.

Carrie – Stephen King

To say Stephen King is the master of the horror genre is a massive understatement. This is why so many of his books are necessary reads for the fall, especially during the Halloween season. In fact, The Shining, It, and Pet Sematary are books I pick up again and again this time of year. One of his books I have yet to read is Carrie, King’s first published novel. Carrie tells the story of a tormented teenage girl who discovers she has the power of telekinesis and uses it as revenge against her bullies at her senior prom. The film adaptation, released in 1976, is one of my favorite Halloween rewatches, and I’m beyond excited to finally read the source material this season.

Rebecca – Daphne du Maurier

Last year, I watched Alfred Hitchcock’s 1940 film, Rebecca, for the first time, and found myself completely blown away. This year, I’m excited to dive into the original 1938 novel it’s based on. In Rebecca, a nameless young lady marries a wealthy widower and moves into his massive house, only to find out that the memory of his first wife, the titular Rebecca, still dominates the place. This isn’t straight-up horror; it’s more about the Gothic vibes, making it a great pick for the fall season.

To me, fall books can span all genres—be it horror, classics, or campus novels. This autumn, I’m pumped to broaden my reading, mixing it up with both new and timeless reads to fully embrace the season.

Sienna is a freshman at the University of Pittsburgh. When it comes to writing, she likes to tackle topics like movies, television, music, celebrities, and any other pop culture goings-on. Sienna is a biological sciences and sociology double major at Pitt with a goal of attaining a certificate in Conceptual Foundations of Medicine. In addition to being a writer at Her Campus, Sienna is in the Frederick Honors College and is a member of Women in Healthcare, Pitt Democrats, and Bookmarked. After her undergraduate education, Sienna hopes to go to medical school and become a cardiothoracic surgeon. When she's not reading or studying, Sienna loves crossing films off her watchlist, reading new books, and trying a latte from every coffee shop in Oakland.