This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

We’ve all known that girl who only makes friends with guys—at times, we’ve probably all been that girl. In a society that pits women against each other and puts down femininity, it’s not uncommon for women to avoid being friends with other women. However, female friendships can be meaningful and important, and they can also be super rewarding.

The truth is that female friendships are beneficial for your mental, physical and emotional health, and they are among the most important relationships you will ever have. So, in the spirit of Valentine’s Day, here are four reasons to nurture your female friendships as much as you nurture your romantic relationships.

They will always be there for you.

Romantic relationships come and go—especially in college and young adulthood. This is the time to explore, and sometimes that means that relationships don’t last long. When you have a group of girls supporting you, the rollercoaster of dating seems a little less overwhelming. Plus, you can always rely on your girlfriends to be honest with you when it comes to relationships. Whether you need to hear someone say, “Dump them!” or “Go for it!” your girlfriends will always be there with the best advice.

They share your experiences.

Sure, at the end of the day, we’re all just people. But it’s undeniable that our experiences shape how we interact with others. Women possess the ability to understand each other on a deep level because there are certain experiences that we all share. That’s not to say that men can’t be great friends or great listeners, because they absolutely can. However, sometimes you need to talk to someone who knows exactly what you’re going through and can help you get through it.

They take the pressure off of your relationship.

As important as your romantic relationships are, it’s not fair to you or your significant other to be each other’s only support system. People are social beings, which means that we thrive when we have a group of people who depend on us and who we can depend on. Having girlfriends who are always there for you no matter what will provide you with a strong support system that takes the pressure off of your romantic relationship.

Empowered women empower women.

When you surround yourself with a group of women that are constantly pushing themselves to be better, you will be more motivated to do the same. Plus, you have a group of cheerleaders to support you as you grow.

Whoever you’re spending Valentine’s Day with, remember to show your girlfriends a little love. After all, they’re the ones who will stand by you no matter what.

Elizabeth is a senior at Pitt majoring in English Writing and French. When she's not writing for hc, Elizabeth likes cooking, spending time with friends, and exploring Pittsburgh's cultural side.