Scary light up clown halloween display
Scary light up clown halloween display
Original photo by Gabriela Aguilera

4 Haunted Attractions in Pittsburgh You Need to Visit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

October, as we all know and love, is the month for haunts. Halloween is only a week away, which means the clock is ticking to get spooked! Back at home, my family and I would try to attend all of the haunted attractions we could. Ranging from Fright Fest at Six Flags Great Adventure to the Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia, we would attempt to visit them all. However, being in a completely new city for college and things finally returning back to some degree of normalcy, I knew I needed to see how the spookiness ranked here in Pittsburgh. If you’re like me and need to get your fill of spooky entertainment, I got you covered! Here are four must-visit haunted attractions in the Pittsburgh area!

Hundred Acres manor

Hundred Acres Manor is about a 30 minute drive from campus and located in Bethel Park. Having visited Hundred Acres Manor recently, I can definitely say that it is a must-visit haunted attraction in the area. The walkthrough is about a mile long, and is executed so well. From the gory costumes to the detailed scenery to even the smell of the room that you walk through, Hundred Acres Manor has everything on point. It definitely lives up to the hype, and you won’t regret attending. Tickets are only $27, and they charge no extra fees, which is great for a college budget.  Make sure to get there early in the night because the line can get spooky in itself with how long it turns out to be, but they’ve got snacks for you to munch on while you wait. Hundred Acres Manor was terrific and exceeded all of my expectations. I came out of the attraction with my throat dry from all of my screaming! 

Scarehouse

ScareHouse is located 30 minutes the opposite way from Pitt’s campus, and is located in The Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills. ScareHouse was the first haunted Pittsburgh haunted attraction that I went to. Even with being in a run-down mall, ScareHouse did not disappoint. Even waiting in line, their crew is sure to make you feel uncomfortable. The costumes, actors and animatronics are all so creative that you feel like you’re in an actual horror movie. Don’t worry, if you’re afraid of the dark, ScareHouse has you covered by giving you a flashlight before your endeavor into the shadows. Don’t get too comfortable though, because sooner then later that light might be taken from you before you know it. My hands were so sore from gripping onto my friends so tightly and cowering behind them for protection! ScareHouse’s tickets range from $25 and up depending on the night you choose to attend. Beware, they do charge extra fees and you may find yourself in a terribly long line, but the spookiness is all worth it! Get ready to try to find your way in the dark, and make sure you don’t run into any terrifying creatures – human or not! 

kennywood’s Phantom Fall Fest

Kennywood is a famous amusement park located about 20 minutes away from campus. Unfortunately, I have yet to visit KennyWood, but from what my roommates have told me, it sounds awesome! When October hits, Kennywood turns from normal amusement park by day to the Phantom Fall Fest at night. Phantom Fall Fest is Kennywood’s newest Halloween event. It lets you experience Halloween in two different ways; a family-friendly fall atmosphere during the day and a terrifying haunt by night. My choice, obviously, the haunts by night! Phantom Fall Fest lets guests experience five haunted houses and four scare-zones on top of their already offered choice of rides. Kennywood is a little on the pricier side with it’s tickets costing either $34.99 or $44.99 depending on the day you choose when you buy them online. However, rides and haunts sound like the best Halloween spooky mixture to me! 

Haunted Hills Hayride

Haunted Hills Hayride is located in North Versailles, and is about a 30 minute drive from campus. Haunted Hills Hayride has been around for 21 years, and is entering it’s 22nd consecutive year of scaring! This haunted attraction is open Thursday through Sunday and the price surely fits into a college budget! Tickets are only a mere $20 for both the hayride and walkthrough on Fridays and Saturdays, and only $18 for both attractions on Thursdays and Sundays. The wait time may be a little longer than usual this season due to them amping up their security measures after a fatal shooting incident occured this September. Enforcing everyone to be checked for weapons and the attraction’s prohibited items before entering has created longer lines, but a safer experience for all. A bonus of this haunt is that it benefits the Autism Society of Pittsburgh! 

The best way to celebrate Halloween is with a haunted attraction or two. Hopefully, this list can help you find a haunted attraction to celebrate the spooky season! 

Serena is a Junior at the University of Pittsburgh who is majoring in English Writing with minors in Creative Writing and Legal Studies. When she's not writing short stories for class, Serena loves to write for HC Pitt, listen to music, and watch Jersey Shore!