Style > Fashion

4 Fashion Essentials to PRepare you for the Winter Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

With Halloween now passed, the focus has shifted from the spooky season to the winter season. Yes, you heard that right, it’s Christmas time! What better way to get into the holiday spirit than to share my favorite outfits to wear during this cozy season? If you’re in need of some fashion inspo or just outfit ideas, you’ve come to the right place! Listed below are my favorite fashion essentials to wear this upcoming season!

1. Crewnecks, Crewnecks and Even More Crewnecks

If you saw a glimpse into my closet, you would see an obscene amount of crewnecks. Trust me, I have a problem. Crewnecks are an essential for the winter season, and the perfect way to stay warm as the Pittsburgh weather grows colder. Some of my favorite crewnecks are hand-me-downs passed down through my mom, mom-mom, grandma or even my dad. My other crewnecks come from thrifting, and to be honest, vintage crewnecks are my absolute favorite. With its affordable price and cool graphics, vintage crewnecks are always a must for me when it comes to the transition between fall and winter clothes.

2. Sweaters please! 

Sweaters are another essential that should be in your closet this winter. Sweaters are versatile in that they can be both dressed up and dressed down, ready to be used for whatever occasion you want. Dressing down? Opt to wear an oversized sweater with some leggings and some UGG slippers or even some sneakers. Dressing up for a special occasion? Throw on some nice jeans or trousers, pair it with your favorite sweater, add a pair of booties or heels, and you’re ready to go! Like crewnecks, you can never have enough sweaters, and it’s crucial to have different styles. From cardigans to oversized to cropped sweaters there are so many different styles to choose from to wear this winter. 

3. Shackets

Shackets have become another important piece to my wardrobe this season. While they can tip to the more expensive side, you can find a variety of shackets to shop from. Ranging from lightweight to a super thick material, shackets can fit all your needs as you transition from fall to winter weather. Personally, I love finding shackets with a thicker material inside to keep me warm all day. You can find shackets basically everywhere and might even be able to score one at your local thrift!

4. Sweatpants 

I don’t know about you, but when the months get closer and closer to Christmas  and the weather turns colder, I find myself dressing as comfy as possible. Most of the time that means wearing lots of sweatpants. Sweatpants are the perfect way to remain both comfortable and cozy during this change of season. If it’s a little warmer one day, match your sweatpants with a graphic tee. If it’s on the colder side, pair your sweatpants with a hoodie or crew neck of your choice. Sometimes it’s better to be comfy than anything, especially when the weather turns colder. Some of my favorite sweatpants have come from Aerie, especially when they are on sale, and H&M. If you haven’t already, definitely think about stocking up on some sweatpants this winter season. 

The transition between seasons is always a fun time, but the weather that comes with it  can be unpredictable. The items listed above are the perfect starting point to get you ready for this upcoming winter season or provide you some inspiration! Happy shopping! 

Serena is a Junior at the University of Pittsburgh who is majoring in English Writing with minors in Creative Writing and Legal Studies. When she's not writing short stories for class, Serena loves to write for HC Pitt, listen to music, and watch Jersey Shore!