This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

On the March 12, I made an absolutely absurd decision – I decided to go 30 days without eating a single bagel. Anyone who knows me knows that I absolutely live for bagels, and they are, without a doubt, my favorite food. Few mornings pass where I don’t have a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast. This is not my first go-around with a 30 day challenge – last year I gave up soda for 30 days and never went back. This time, the challenge was harder than I ever thought it could be. 

Mornings required so much more planning. I could no longer stop through a coffee cart and grab a bagel for breakfast. I also wanted to trade my bagel habit for a healthier one, so I opted to stay away from granola or other breakfast bars. Taking this challenge meant finding new breakfast options, so I began trying different foods like cereal, fruit, yogurt and oatmeal. The temptation of bagels was everywhere. To get to class each morning, I walk by several cafes that sell bagels. To get to work, I have to walk by a Panera. It seemed like anywhere I went, someone was eating a bagel. All I wanted was bagels for every meal. 

I’m proud to say that I made it 30 days without a bagel, but not as proud to share that on day 31, my first priority was Panera. Although I wasn’t able to walk away from bagels completely, I have begun to alternate my breakfast choices to include more options instead of eating a bagel every day.

I believe that 30 day challenges are a great way to make small changes toward a healthier life without the changes becoming overwhelming. By making one change at a time, you eliminate the stress and pressure associated with big changes. Although research suggests it takes about two months for a new habit to become automatic, other research suggests it takes only 21 days to begin to internalize a new habit. By taking a 30 day challenge to make a small change in habit, you are more likely to carry on the habit after the course of the 30 days has run.

Today, I challenge you to make a change – nothing huge, nothing crazy, just a small change, for only 30 days. Try something new or give up a bad habit. Learn a new skill and devote time to it daily. Starting May 1, I will be running for at least 30 minutes a day for a month. It will be difficult, but I know I, and any of you, can do it! Good luck!

Photos: 1, 2, 3 (author’s), 4

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt