Mean Girls phone scene
Mean Girls phone scene
Lorne Michaels Productions

2024: The Year of The Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

As an avid Letterboxd user and self proclaimed film-buff, I am constantly looking for new movies to watch. From black and white dramas of the 30s to the dramatic 2000s romcom, I’ll watch anything (except the Wolf of Wall Street)! But nothing beats the feeling of sitting in a leather chair amidst a dark theater with a huge tub of popcorn and nothing but excitement for the film you’re about to watch. As the holidays and new year approach us, there’s no better time to begin to plan your 2024 trips to the theaters.

Mean Girls (January 12th)

Director: Samantha Jayne, Arturo Perez Jr.

20 years after the original, the Plastics are returning. Coming to theaters, this remake of the slumber party classic turns the story we love into a musical. Cady Heron (Angourie Rice) moves from Africa and attends her first-ever public school. Amidst the pure chaos, she befriends the most popular girls in school: the Plastics. With her new friends, she travels up the high school food chain and is on top of the world until feelings get in the way and new rivalries begin to form. While there seem to be a few plot changes to make it more marketable to todays audiences (I’m hoping for the Kalteen bar plotline!), overall it’s the same love story of back-stabbing, bitchy best friends!

Argylle (February 2nd)

Director: Matthew Vaughn

Sexy British man? Check. Pretty main character author with a braid and a codependency with her cat? Check. Elly Conway (Bryce Dallas Howard), a shy author of spy novels, finds herself thrust into the realm of actual espionage when the stories from her books closely mirror the operations of a malignant underground operation. When a self-proclaimed spy appears to rescue her from potential harm, Elly and her cat are launched into a mysterious world where appearances are deceiving and no one can be trusted. 

Dune Part 2 (March 1st)

Director: Denis Villeneuve

Dune (2021) left audiences on the edge of their seat with the cliffhanger ending. Dune Part 2 picks up after Paul (Timothee Chalamet) escapes to the desert with his mother Lady Jessica. Throughout the movie, he seeks to avenge his family against those who destroyed it, all while falling in love and the dealing with the overall fate of the universe. Dune is sure to be a perfect movie for any Sci-Fi enthusiast or anyone looking to stare at Timothee for a few hours.

The Fall Guy (may 3rd)

Director: David Leitch

After his remarkable performance as Ken, Ryan Gosling is back and better than ever! After leaving the stuntman industry for his mental health, Colt Seavers (Ryan Gosling) is back working on a set with his ex, a famous director. However, when the star of her million-budget movie goes missing, Seavers investigates and finds himself thrown into a larger, more sinister conspiracy than stunting.

Deadpool 3 (July 26th)

Director: Shawn Levy

For all the Marvel fans out there, our resident bad boy is back! Deadpool 2 (2018) left off with Wade (Ryan Reynolds) going back in time to save his girlfriend and another person in his group. However, trouble never seems to leave him be. Trying to fix a new mess, he reluctantly teams up with rival Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) to straighten everything out and fight a common villain. With Deadpool’s history of quips and banter, I’m hoping that Deadpool 3 won’t fall into the flop of recent Marvel movies.

Joker: Folie à Deux (October 4th)

Director: Todd Phillips

As a huge Batman enthusiast, (shoutout Christopher Nolan!) my film-bro heart soared when I first watched this trailer. Everything I loved about the original Joker (2019), from the cinematography and uses of color to the pure insanity of Joaquin Phoenix’s performance, was perfectly portrayed in a minute and a half trailer. While much of the plot still remains a mystery, we know for sure that this movie will follow Arthur (Joaquin Phoenix) after the events of the last movie and his struggle with his mental health. He eventually turns to psychiatrist Dr. Harleen Quinzel (Lady Gaga) for guidance, but her curiosity gets the best of her and their relationship thickens. Guaranteed, I will be in the theaters on opening night geeking out.

With the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes finally coming to a close benefitting the writers and actors, movies are so back! I cannot wait to watch, log, and review all of these movies, and I hope you find something that piques your interest. Happy movie-watching!

Lila Ryan is a first-year student at the University of Pittsburgh and is currently a writer. Her favorite things to write about are film/music reviews, pop culture, and pretty much anything arts related! She is pursuing both a major in History as well as a minor in Political Science. In addition to being a part of Her Campus, she is a member of Pitt’s Treble Choral Ensemble and Pitt Dance Ensemble. In the future, she plans to attend graduate school for a Master of Arts with Teacher Certification. Outside of class and Her Campus, Lila loves baking, Fleetwood Mac, reading, movie marathons, hockey, flowers, and everything coffee-related.